Notice of Proposed Rule Making -
Standards for Aircraft Mode S Transponders and minor changes to existing standards for Aircraft Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) equipment
The requirement for CASA to promulgate technical standards for Mode S transponders arose as Mode S transponders are becoming widely used and are gradually replacing the older Mode A/C transponders which have become obsolescent. Airservices Australia (AsA) is installing Mode S SSR to replace both the existing Mode A/C SSRs at major Australian aerodromes and its en-route radars on the east coast from Cairns to Adelaide. Modern Mode S radar technology significantly improves secondary surveillance radar performance and accuracy for ATC. The Mode S radars operate compatibly with the older Mode A/C transponders currently fitted to the majority of aircraft. Most new aircraft have Mode S transponders.
The requirement for CASA to make minor amendments which amount to a relaxation of the existing rules covering aircraft ADS-B equipage requirements and standards stems from conclusions taken by the Asia Pacific Region (APAC) of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), as explained in some detail in the body of NPRM 1103AS.
How to respond
Comment period now closed.
Contact: Brian Harris, Project Leader
- NPRM 1103AS - Standards for Aircraft Mode S Transponders and minor changes to existing standards for Aircraft Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) equipment – Proposed amendment to CAOs 20.18, 82.1, 82.3, 82.5 and Instrument Number CASA 521/09
- Annex A - Proposed Amendments to Civil Aviation Order 20.18 – Aircraft Equipment – Basic Operational Requirements (includes Appendixes I to XI)
- Annex B - Proposed Amendments to Civil Aviation Order 82.1 – Conditions on Air Operators' Certificates Authorising Charter Operations and Aerial Work Operations (includes Appendixes 1 and 2)
- Annex C -Proposed Amendments to Civil Aviation Order 82.3 – Conditions on Air Operators' Certificates Authorising Regular Public Transport Operations in Other Than High Capacity Aircraft (includes Appendixes 1 to 5)
- Annex D -Proposed Amendments to Civil Aviation Order 82.5 – Conditions on Air Operators' Certificates Authorising Regular Public Transport Operations in High Capacity Aircraft (includes Appendixes 1 to 3)
- Annex E - Proposed Amendments to Instrument Number CASA 521/09 Direction - for use of ADS-B in foreign aircraft engaged in private operations in Australian territory.
- Annex F -Details of ICAO Standards Incorporated by Reference