Notice of Proposed Rule Making - NPRM 1002AS
The International Civil Aviation Organizations (ICAO) highest priority is to rapidly implement Performance Based Navigation (PBN) in order to maximise the associated safety, economic and environmental benefits which have been made possible by advances in navigation technology and the development of internationally agreed standards. This international initiative aims to safely maximise the utilisation of available airspace through initiatives such as reductions in oceanic and en-route separation standards and track miles flown during approach to land procedures in terminal airspace.
As a part of this initiative, ICAO is striving to harmonise navigation standards globally and achieve an outcome-based approach to navigation requirements and approvals through its PBN concept.
This NPRM introduces, and invites consultation on, new Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 20.91 Navigation Authorisations which will enable the rapid implementation of the ICAO PBN concept. It proposes a new regulatory framework for Area Navigation (RNAV) and Required Navigation Performance (RNP) navigation specifications consistent with the PBN manual and allows for a transition of existing navigation authorisations to the revised regulatory framework. The new regulatory framework will consolidate all existing approvals and give all navigation approvals a firm and internationally recognised legal basis.
As part of the consolidated regulatory framework CAR 181U Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum (RVSM) will also be updated then incorporated into the new structure.
The proposed CAO 20.91 and updated CAR 181U should have little or no effect on many operators because the proposed regulations will merely confirm the legal status of many of the navigation authorisations/operational approvals already issued by CASA.
How to respond
Comment period now closed.
Contact: Dirk Noordewier, Project Officer
- Addendum to NPRM 1002AS published 23 April 2012.
Note: All comments on this addendum should be sent to the Project Leader Roy Tuomela, by close of business Monday 7 May 2012.
- NPRM 1002AS - Navigation Authorisations - Proposed Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 20.91 Navigation Authorisations – Incorporating ICAO PBN Navigation Specifications
- Annex A - Proposed Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 20.91 Navigation Authorisations
- Annex B - Proposed Amendments to CAR 181U – Height Monitoring Keeping
- Annex C - Draft Advisory Circulars relating to the Proposed CAO 20.91 and CASR Subpart 91.U – Navigation Authorisations
- Annex D - Draft Civil Aviation Advisory Publication – CAAP 181-1(2) – Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum (RVSM) Approvals
Comments closed 23 September 2011