Notice of Proposed Rule Making – NPRM 0901AS
- Comments closed: Friday 4 December 2009
Aeronautical Information Services
Purpose of this NPRM
ICAO Annex 15 states that 'the role and importance of aeronautical information/data changed significantly with the implementation of area navigation (RNAV), required navigation performance (RNP), airborne computer based navigation systems and data link systems. Corrupt or erroneous aeronautical information/data can potentially affect the safety of air navigation'. This risk can only be managed if the organisation responsible for the provision of an aeronautical information service can ensure the integrity of aeronautical data through its documented processes and procedures. Data service providers who publish aeronautical information that pilots are permitted to use as an alternative to the AIP must also be able to demonstrate that the aeronautical information and data that they publish is consistent with the aeronautical information and data published in the AIP. Data integrity can only be verified if the AIS provider and data service providers can demonstrate that their procedures do not introduce errors or corruption during receipt, processing, storage, transmission and publication of aeronautical information and data.
Key change proposals
The purpose of this NPRM is to outline the requirements for establishing a regulatory framework for the provision of aeronautical information services. This framework is proposed to consist of:
- approval of the AIS provider;
- authorisation of data service providers;
- a requirement for AIS to provide an IAIP and aeronautical charts in accordance with the SARPs of ICAO Annexes 15 and 4;
- approval of aeronautical information equivalents to the AIP;
- responsibilities for data originators; and
- a requirement for AIS and data service providers to have an SMS.
Comment period now closed
Contact Roy Tuomela
email email@example.com, CASR Part 175 Project Leader