- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Contact Mike Higgins
Notice of Proposed Rule Making – NPRM 0811OS
Passenger Transport Services, International Cargo and Heavy Cargo (above 8640kgs MTOW) - Rotorcraft
Key change proposals
NPRM 0301OS provided detailed information on the proposed changes between the drafted CASR Part 133 and the regulations affecting rotorcraft operations, as they existed at the time. The details of the change proposals embodied in NPRM 0301OS can be reviewed at Annex I to this NPRM.
The key proposed changes that are outlined in this NPRM build upon the proposals of NPRM 0301OS, and the subsequent amendments resulting from consultation through that document. From a safety perspective, the key change proposals and most significant rule enhancements in this NPRM include:
- A simplified structure for regulations relating to PTS, International Cargo and Heavy Cargo using rotorcraft, with CASR Part 133 solely addressing these operations.
- A single standard to be introduced for PTS, whether unscheduled or scheduled operations.
- The applicability and standards of CASR Part 133 'Passenger Transport Services' aligned to the CASA hierarchy of priorities within the Classification of Civil Aviation Activities Policy for rotorcraft.
- Support for the systems approach to safety by requiring rules to make clear who is responsible for complying with each rule.
- Placing a degree of responsibility on operators for providing guidance to their personnel on how to comply with regulations, when conducting operations under their AOC.
- In recognition of aircraft accident history and potential risk mitigators, improving the standards for PTS conducted under the VFR at night.
- Linking the requirements for PTS conducted under the VFR at night more directly to the safety risks of such operations.
- Establishing safety-based outcomes for overwater flights, and providing a greater degree of flexibility to operators to establish procedures, training and recency requirements that are most appropriate to the circumstances of their operations.
- Establishing rotorcraft performance standards that incorporate consideration of exposure to the potential for a forced landing, and that allow for risk management of this exposure through appropriate consideration of the likelihood and consequences of a forced landing event.
- Safety standards for rotorcraft PTS are based on certification under CASR Part 119, with its requirements for; continuing airworthiness under an approved aircraft maintenance program, operational risk management under a safety management system, and procedural training and checking of flight crews under an approved training and checking system.
- NPRM 0811OS
- Annex A - Proposals for CASR Part 133 Passenger Transport Services
- Annex B - Proposals for CASR Part 133 Passenger Transport Services - Rotorcraft: General & Dictionary
- Annex C - Subpart 133.A-B
- Annex D - Subpart 133.C
- Annex E - Subpart 133.D-E
- Annex F - Subpart 133.F-I (NPRM 0301OS format)
- Annex G - Subpart 133.F-I (ICAO format)
- Annex H - Subpart 133.J-S
- Annex I - Subpart 133.T
- Annex J - Copy of NPRM 0301OS - Air Transport and Aerial Work Operations - Rotorcraft
How to respond
Comment period now closed.
Contact Mike Higgins