Notice of Final Rule Making
- Transition to Satellite Technology for Navigation and Surveillance - Final Rule for Aircraft Avionics Equipage
The Joint Consultation Paper on the Transition to Satellite Technology for Navigation and Surveillance (JCP) was published by the four Australian Government agencies involved in aviation administration (the then Department of Transport and Regional Services, Airservices Australia (AsA), and CASA, in co-operation with the Department of Defence) in August 2007. The JCP invited public comments on its proposals generally and those relating to the mandatory carriage and use of ADS-B avionics in Australia as the necessary infrastructure basis for the transition to satellite technology in particular.
In its form, content and presentation, the JCP met all of the requirements of a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM). The final rule on mandatory aircraft ADS-B equipment carriage that CASA has established for flight in the upper airspace at and above FL290 greatly reduces the scope of the transition and largely addresses the concerns raised by respondents on the JCP proposals, as well as removing any impact on the general aviation and sports aviation sectors. Therefore, CASA considered it appropriate to proceed directly to this NFRM rather than publish a further NPRM that would cover the upper airspace proposal when that aspect of the proposed changes has already been addressed in the JCP.
- summarises the comments made by respondents to the JCP;
- presents CASA’s evaluation of the comments received together with the consequent disposition of the CAO amendments and guidance material;
- gives an explanation of the changes resulting from the consultation; and
- presents the final rules – these being Amendment Schedules to the CAOs for GNSS and ADS-B avionics carriage and operation in upper airspace, and an Instrument of direction under CAR 209 relevant to private operations by foreign aircraft.
Contact: Brian Harris, Project Officer
- NFRM JCP - Transition to Satellite Technology for Navigation and Surveillance - Final Rule for Aircraft Avionics Equipage
- Annex A - Consolidated Summary of Comments/Responses received, CASA's responses, and the disposition of the Final Rules for ADS-B avionics
- Annex B - Final Amendment Schedules to Civil Aviation Orders (CAOs) 20.18, 82.1, 82.3 and 82.5, and new Instrument of Direction under subregulation 209 (1) of CAR 1988
- Annex C - List of respondents to the JCP