NFRM 406 ELT - 406 MHz Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs)
Notice of Final Rule Making (NFRM) 406 ELT
On 20 February 2008, CASA initiated a regulatory development project (no. SS 08/03) titled Operational and technical amendments for emergency locator transmitters (ELTs). The project set out to develop amendments to CAR 252A and CAO 20.11 relating to the 'switchover' of ELT monitoring from the original analogue 121.5 and 243 Megahertz (MHz) signals to the new digital 406 MHz signalling system. The switchover date is 1 February 2009.
This switchover of ELT transmission monitoring services is an international issue involving many countries and has been forthcoming since the late 1990s. The development of the new Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASRs) has taken into account the switchover. CASR Part 91 (containing general flight and operating rules) will address the rule changes contained in this NFRM. Consultation for CASR Part 91 has been ongoing since 1999. However, as the ELT regulations in Part 91 will not be made in time for the international switchover date, CASA is amending CAR 252A and CAO 20.11 as an interim measure.
- provides a background of the regulatory policy and consultation undertaken;
- discusses the impact and gives an explanation of the changes being made; and
- provides the final Regulation and Order amendments.
- NFRM — Preamble
- NFRM Annex A — Amendments to Civil Aviation Regulation (CAR) 252A
- NFRM Annex B — Amendments to Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 20.11
For more information about this NFRM, contact Nick Strange by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the fax, post or email addresses below:
- Fax to the Standards Development Documentation Coordinator at:
1800 653 897 (free call within Australia) or
+612 6217 1691 (international).
- Post (no stamp required if posted in Australia) to:
CASA Regulatory Coordination & Administration Section,
Attn: Standards Development Documentation Coordinator,
Reply Paid 2005, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia.
- Email to: email@example.com.