- Airworthiness Directive to mandate retirement of primary flight control cable assemblies
On 7 February 2014, CASA published NPRM 1303MS - Proposed Airworthiness Directive to Mandate Inspection or Retirement of Control Cable Assemblies with Terminals Manufactured from SAE-AISI 303 Se Stainless Steel. The purpose of this NFRM is to set out CASA's disposition of comments received to the NPRM, which invited public comment on proposed changes to control cable terminal inspections and control cable terminal service life.
- provides a background of the regulatory policy proposed and consultation undertaken
- discusses the submissions made in response to NPRM 1303MS
- provides an analysis of the responses and gives a CASA response and disposition
- discusses the impact and gives an explanation of the changes
- provides the final legislative instrument.
CASA received 33 responses to the NPRM; a large number of respondents provided comments regarding key proposals 1 and 2, as well as additional comments at the end of the NPRM response form. A portion of additional comments addressed General Aviation maintenance practices across the industry, while others spoke to the NPRM specifically. A SOR, together with CASA's disposition of them, is provided in Annex A.
Please note that although the original proposed AD and NPRM only referred to SAE-AISI 303 Se terminals, the AD and NFRM now apply to both SAE-AISI 303 Se and SAE-AISI 304 stainless steel terminals on primary flight controls.
Contact: Thomas Wiltshire, Project Leader