– Extended diversion time operations
On 6 June 2013, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) published NPRM - Extended Diversion Time Operations - Proposed Amendment to CAO 82.0. The NPRM was issued with a view to ensuring that Australian aviation safety requirements are current and appropriately address safety risks.
CASA’s policies require that the aviation safety regulations must:
- be necessary to address known or likely safety risks
- provide for the most efficient allocation of industry and CASA resources
- be clear and concise
- be aligned with international standards and drafted in outcome based terms (where appropriate).
The purpose of this NFRM is to set out CASA's disposition to the comments received on the NPRM, which invited public comment on the following proposed changes to CAO 82.0 including:
- operation to 75 minutes from an adequate aerodrome, without an aeroplane having to meet the appropriate type design, and without CASA approval being required, would no longer be permitted. (Exemptions being granted to existing operators until 30 June 2015).
- a reduction in the threshold time EDTO for aeroplanes with two turbine engines from 90 to 60 minutes.
- with regard to EDTO threshold times for aeroplanes with more than two turbine engines, operations in accordance with EDTO will only apply from 1 July 2015; however, aeroplanes will not require EDTO type design approval.
- greater harmonisation of Australian EDTO standards with those standards applied internationally and in accordance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Annex 6 Part I.
- provides a background to the regulatory policy proposed and consultation undertaken
- discusses the submissions made in response to NPRM 1203OS
- provides an analysis of the responses and gives a CASA response and disposition
- discusses the impact and gives an explanation of the changes
- provides the final legislative changes and associated advisory materials.
CASA received 9 responses (one respondent twice) to the NPRM. Some comments were editorial in nature. Others went to the issues of harmonisation. A summary of the comments received and CASA’s disposition thereof is attached to this NFRM as Annex A.
Contact: Miles Gore-Brown, Project Leader
15 January 2015
- NFRM 1203OS - Extended diversion time operations (116KB)
- Annex A to NFRM 1203OS - Summary of responses to NPRM 1203OS (212KB)
- Annex B to NFRM 1203OS - Civil Aviation Order 82.0 Amendment Instrument 2014 (No.2) (420KB)
- Annex C to NFRM 1203OS - CAAP 82-1(1) – Extended diversion time operations (192KB)