– Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members – Amendment to CAO Part 48
On 1 May 2012, CASA published Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) 1202OS – Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members – Proposal to Update Civil Aviation Order (CAO) Part 48.
The NPRM proposed a new graduated approach for the management of flight crew member (FCM) fatigue. A three-tiered approach was developed allowing for flexibility whilst maintaining robust levels of safety. The three tiers proposed were:
- Tier 1 – a very simple prescriptive system, with relatively restrictive flight and duty time limitations.
- Tier 2 – more flexible limitations, but with additional operator obligations such as hazard identification and continuous monitoring.
- Tier 3 – where an operator would manage most fatigue risk through a fatigue risk management system (FRMS), consistent with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standards for FRMS.
The final rule maintains this hierarchy.
These rules have been developed giving consideration to human performance limitations, which give rise to potential safety issues such as the effects of long days, early starts, duty within the window of circadian low and the need for adequate sleep. Whilst some consideration of workload factors has been provided for, such as sectors flown, the contribution of workload to overall fatigue risk has to a large degree been left for operators to examine in respect to their specific operational characteristics. It is expected that consideration of specific workload factors will lead to moderation of prescriptive limits.
The new rules are promulgated in Civil Aviation Order 48.1 Instrument 2013 (the new CAO 48.1) and are supported by Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) 48-1. The rules form a series of conditions on the holder of an Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) and on the holder of a flight crew licence, which the CAAP provides guidance on.
Contact: Bill Cox, Project Leader
- NFRM 1202OS - Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members – Amendment to CAO Part 48
- ANNEX A - Summary of Responses to NPRM 1202OS
- ANNEX B - List of Respondents to NPRM 1202OS – Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members
- ANNEX C - CAO 48.1 Instrument 2013
- ANNEX D - CAAP 48-1(0) – Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members
- ANNEX E - RIS – Review and Amendment of Flight Crew Fatigue Regulations
- ANNEX F - Bibliography of Research Pertaining to Fatigue Science