Notice of Final Rule Making
- Standards for Aircraft Mode S Transponders and minor changes to existing standards for Aircraft Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) equipment – Amendment to CAOs 20.18, 82.1, 82.3, 82.5 and CASA Instrument Number CASA 521/09
On 6 October 2011, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) published the Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) 0910AS – Standards for Aircraft Mode S Transponders and minor changes to existing standards for Aircraft Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) equipment - for public comment.
The NPRM proposed new regulatory standards for inclusion in and amendment of Civil Aviation Orders (CAO) No. 20.18, 82.1, 82.3, 82.5, and CASA Instrument No. 521/09.
The proposed changes were to:
- establish technical standards for aircraft Mode Select (Mode S) transponders;
- amend the existing ADS-B rule to define the conditions under which flight with an unserviceable aircraft ADS-B transponder(s) can take place; and
- extend the date for the forward fitment of the Selective Availability Aware (SA Aware) feature in aircraft Global Navigation Surveillance System (GNSS) equipment providing position source data for ADS-B transmission.
CASA received responses from a total of eight (8) respondents. A number of changes were made to the proposals in the NPRM to take account of the comments received. These have been incorporated in the final rules.
The Summary of Responses (SOR) can be found at Annex A of this Notice of Final Rule Making (NFRM). The final rule Amendment Schedules can be found at Annexes B to F to this NFRM.
Contact: Brian Harris, Project Leader
NFRM published: 24 January 2012
- Addendum to NFRM 1103AS
- NFRM 1103AS — Preamble
- Annex A — Consolidated Summary of Comments / Responses received, CASA’s Response and Disposition Actions to NPRM 1103AS
- Annex B — Civil Aviation Order 20.18 – Aircraft Equipment – Basic Operational Requirements (includes Appendixes I to XI)
- Annex C — Civil Aviation Order 82.1 – Conditions on Air Operators' Certificates Authorising Charter Operations and Aerial Work Operations (includes Appendixes 1 and 2)
- Annex D — Civil Aviation Order 82.3 – Conditions on Air Operators' Certificates Authorising Regular Public Transport Operations in Other Than High Capacity Aircraft (includes Appendixes 1 to 5)
- Annex E — Civil Aviation Order 82.5 – Conditions on Air Operators' Certificates Authorising Regular Public Transport Operations in High Capacity Aircraft (includes Appendixes 1 to 3)
- Annex F — Instrument Number CASA 498/11 – Amendment of Direction - use of ADS-B in foreign aircraft engaged in private operations in Australian territory