Notice of Final Rule Making
- Vehicles on the Manoeuvring Area of Aerodromes with Advanced Surface Movement Guidance and Control System (A-SMGCS) – Amendments to Civil Aviation Safety Regulation Part 139 ‘Aerodromes’ and the Manual of Standards Part 139
On 14 January 2010, CASA published NPRM 0910AS which proposed new regulatory requirements and standards for the mitigation of the risk of runway incursions by surface vehicles when operating on the manoeuvring area of certain major capital city aerodromes at which electronic surveillance equipment and associated procedures, i.e., A-SMGCS, are being used in the control tower by air traffic controllers (ATC) fore situational awareness.
The NPRM proposed the following new regulations in CASR Part 139 and the addition of a standard in Manual of Standards (MOS) Part 139:
- Give CASA the power, subject to a number of specified conditions, to designate an aerodrome subject to A-SMGCS procedures, to ensure the safe control of aircraft and vehicles operating on the manoeuvring area of the aerodrome;
- Require the aerodrome operator, at designated aerodromes, to establish procedures limiting the entry of surface vehicles to the manoeuvring area to those that are fitted with serviceable electronic surveillance and radiocommunication equipment;
- Prohibit the entry of any vehicle not equipped with the specified electronic surveillance and radio communications equipment;
- Require vehicle drivers at a designated aerodrome to monitor the ATC radio frequency while in control of the vehicle on the manoeuvring area and to communicate with ATC as necessary; and
- Include a technical specification for vehicle surveillance equipment in the MOS. An exception to the above requirements was to be provided for any vehicle being escorted by another vehicle that complies with the regulations.
CASA intends to initially designate Melbourne, Perth Sydney and Brisbane aerodromes as aerodromes subject to A-SMGCS. CASA may, in the future, designate other aerodromes as A-SMGCS aerodromes upon completion of a safety risk assessment and the installation of A-SMGCS equipment for use in the control tower by Airservices Australia (AsA). At this stage, CASA is not aware of any intention of AsA to install A-SMGCS equipment beyond the four aerodromes nominated above.
Contact: Brian Harris, Project Leader
NFRM published: 12 April 2012
- NFRM 0910AS — Preamble
- Annex A — Consolidated Summary of Comments/Responses received, CASA’s Response and Disposition Actions to NPRM 0910AS
- Annex B — CASR Part 139 Amendment Schedule – Vehicles of the Manoeuvring Area of Aerodromes with Advanced – Surface Movement Guidance and Control System
- Annex C —Manual of Standards (MOS) Part 139 – Aerodromes, to add standards for vehicle surveillance equipment