New Part 61 application and notification forms
CASA is reminding pilot licence holders that an application to convert your pilot licence to the new Part 61 licence does not need to be submitted to CASA until one of the following events occur:
- you need to apply for an additional licence
- you are issued a flight crew rating
- you complete a flight review
- you are issued an endorsement on a flight crew rating
- you are issued a flight activity endorsement.
For more information, see When will I receive a new Part 61 licence?
When licence holders are ready to submit their notification, application and completed 61-9TX form to CASA, they should ensure they have read and completed any required forms in full, and make sure to provide all supporting documents requested, such as notifications from your flight instructor or examiner. This will help reduce unnecessary delays in processing applications.
Currently CASA is receiving more applications for licence conversions than can be managed immediately. Applications are being prioritised so those pilots who have a need to convert their licence to Part 61 are not disadvantaged.
CASA is doing everything possible to keep up with the demand for new licences.
New flight crew application and notification forms are available for new licensing rules which commenced on 1 September 2014.
Use the new forms to convert your existing CAR 5 qualifications to a CASR Part 61 licence.
You will need to complete Form 61-9TX (Recognition and Transfer of CAR 5 Qualifications Under CASR Part 61. Ask your flight examiner or flight instructor to sight and certify copies of any original permissions you hold that are not contained in your CAR 5 licence which need to be transferred to your Part 61 licence document. This includes permissions contained in your log book or any other instrument that confers privileges under CAR Part 5.
Both the notification and transfer forms need to be sent to CASA’S Permission Application Centre at the same time, along with the certified copies of your permissions. These will be placed in your new Part 61 licence document and posted to you.
When you receive your new Part 61 licence document you should check to ensure that it incorporates all of the permissions that were included in your CAR 5 licence, and those provided on the 61-9TX form. If there are any discrepancies you should notify CASA.
If you are applying for your first licence or a higher licence, you will receive your CASR Part 61 licence after successful assessment of your application. You may also need to submit Form 61-9TX and Form 61-9PIC.
For applications where a flight test is required, the flight test page is not included in the application form. You will need to complete a separate page and attach it to your documentation. You can find this page on the Flight test report forms page.
CASA has introduced a new numbering system for the forms. All forms relating exclusively to CASR Part 61 will be prefaced
with 61-. An alphanumeric classification then identifies groups of forms. Some of the common examples follow.
Numeric coding after 61-
- ‘1’ refers to all initial licensing application forms
- ‘2’ refers to notification forms for operational ratings
- ‘3’ refers to notification forms for the issue of class/type ratings or design features onto an existing licence
- ‘4’ refers to all foreign conversion applications forms
- ‘9’ refers to other 61 related forms.
Alpha coding after 61-X
1. For licence application forms:
First alpha after the 61-1 is for the licence level
- ‘R’ refers to recreational pilot licence
- ‘P’ refers to private pilot licence
- ‘C’ refers to commercial pilot licence
- ‘A’ refers to air transport pilot licence
Second alpha after the 61-1X is for the category of aircraft
- ‘A’ refers to aeroplane
- ‘H’ refers to helicopter
- ‘G’ refers to gyroplane
- ‘PL’ refers to powered lift
- ‘AS’ refers to airship
2. For operational ratings:
Alpha after 61-2
- I is for initial issue
- P is for proficiency check
- AE is for additional endorsements
3. For notification of issue of a new class/type rating of the same category onto an existing licence: Alpha after 61-3
- CT is for issue of a new class/type rating on same category of licence
- DF is for issue of a design feature
The new forms can be found on the forms page under 'Flight Crew Licensing'.