Go to top of page
Key proposals - development of Subpart 91.U
As a subset of the complete Part 91 (general operating and flight rules), Subpart 91.U was developed to:
- provide a comprehensive and structured regulatory regime (under the CASR) for all Australian-issued navigation approvals
- accord with the requirements of ICAO Annex 6 for RNP approvals
- consolidate existing navigation regulations and approvals with those needed by Australian operators for operations in Australian domestic, foreign continental and international airspace
- improve safety by governing entry control and providing for monitoring of the airspace system
- enable operators to gain the operational benefits available from reduced separation minima
- provide clear guidance material on the administrative process for gaining a navigation approval for RNP operations, including the procedures for entry control, monitoring and enforcement.
Key proposals for the development of Part 91 included:
- new regulations governing RNP operations will be created within CASR Part 91
- a new Subpart 91.U governing the RNP approval process will be created within CASR Part 91
- a MOS, containing mandatory airworthiness and operational standards applicable to RNP operational approvals, will be created
- advisory circulars will be published to explain the administrative process for gaining RNP 4 and RNP 10 operational approval
- existing standards for RNP 10 approvals will be incorporated in the proposed legislation and new standards will be established for RNP 4 approvals.