Key proposals - development of Part 149
Recreational aviation administration organisations to be approved to administer the regulatory authorisations for the following aviation activities:
- The issue of the certificate of registration for aircraft over 70kg empty weight
- The issue of airworthiness certificates (where applicable)
- The issue of pilot qualifications
- The issue of maintainer qualifications
- The approval of associated flying training and maintenance training facilities
- Surveillance activities of members of the organisations
- Enforcement action where members are in breach of the regulations.
Part 149 was subject to NPRM in 2007 and for most of the policy contained within was widely acceptable to respondents. However, the mechanisms that link the recreational organisations to CASA have been subject to further consideration since the NPRM and may be the subject of new public consultation before the regulation undergoes final legislative drafting.