Implementing your SMS
Your SMS needs to be implemented in accordance with your implementation plan (after all your planning and preparation is complete).
You should have tasks, timelines, staff allocations and resources, identified training needs and the beginnings of an SMS document and be ready to circulate it to your staff.
Implementing your SMS includes:
- ensure training for staff is outlined in your implementation plan and role based training is being developed, finalised and conducted – based on your training needs analysis
- further establish and setup regular meetings for your implementation team, Safety Committee(s) and any other meeting schedules related to your implementation plan *
- ensure your organisation has nominated a software system and tools to use in your SMS
- have or prepare forms/reports/checklists and ensure they are included in your SMS documentation
* These meetings should be used to discuss the implementation of the SMS, any issues being encountered and progress of the implementation in accordance with the implementation plan. As the planned implementation evolves, these meetings can begin to discuss SMS functions and any enhancements that may be identified.