Go to top of page
I’m a GA pilot and have been selected by a CASA inspector for a ramp check
What happens now?
The inspector will ask you for your CASA pilot licensing documents
- Flight crew licence (FCL) - You must carry your current licence and photographic ID. [Paper or electronic copy of licence acceptable]
- Aviation medical certificate - You must carry your current aviation medical certificate. You must be compliant with any restrictions or endorsements (e.g. the wearing of corrective lenses)[Paper or electronic copy of medical certificate acceptable]
The inspector will then check your preparation for your flight
- Have you maintained a navigation/fuel log?
- Have you made a careful study of forecast weather and applicable NOTAMs?
- Are you compliant with CASA flight time limitations (as applicable)?
- Are you carrying the appropriate, current charts and documents? Are they easily accessible by the crew?
- Are you using an EFB for your charts and documents? There are considerations for commercial versus private operations.
- Have you submitted a flight plan (if required by AIP)?
Finally, the inspector will check your aircraft
The inspector will check:
- Aircraft maintenance release
- Is the daily inspection signed off correctly?
- Are all required airworthiness directives completed and signed off?
- Are there any outstanding aircraft unserviceable items to be signed off?
- Flight manual (if required)- is it up-to-date?
- Checklists (normal and non-normal) - are they up-to-date and accessible to crew. [Paper or electronic copy of checklist acceptable]
- Evidence of pilot and passenger weights (standard weights should not be used in aircraft with fewer than 7 seats) Evidence of cargo weights (if carried) and appropriate securing equipment.
- Load sheets (if required)
- Required emergency equipment on board, serviceable and accessible.
Flight crew licence & aviation medical certificates
- Carriage of documents - CAR 139
- Flight review - CAR 5.108
- Recent experience - CAR 5.109
- Navigation logs - CAR 78
- Fuel requirements - CAR 234
- Weather and NOTAM - CAR 233 & AIP ENR 1-10 paragraph 1.
- Flight plan submission AIP ENR 1-10 paragraph 2.
- Flight time limitations - CAO 48.1 and CAAP 48.1
- Charts and documents - CAR 139 and AIP ENR 1.10 paragraph 5.
- EFBs - CAO 82.0, CAR 233 and CAAP 233-1(1)
- Carriage of maintenance release - CAR 139
- Carriage of flight manual - CAR 139
- Check lists - CAR 232
- Carriage of passengers - CAO 20.16.3 - CAAP 235
- Carriage of cargo - CAO 20.16.2.
- Load sheets and passengers lists - CAO 20.16.1
- Emergency equipment - CAR 252A - CAO 20.11
*Regulation details current as of December 2013