Go to top of page
Enhancing aviation safety
CASA enhancing aviation safety by:
- Conducting entry control assessments, regulatory surveillance and oversight, providing regulatory services, and taking appropriate enforcement actions when necessary.
- Conducting regulatory oversight and surveillance of aviation manufacturing activities, cabin safety, dangerous goods, ground operations and the management of foreign operators in Australia.
- Developing aviation safety standards and guidance material, and implementing regulatory changes.
- Regulating Australian-administered airspace, registered and certificated aerodromes, airport rescue and firefighting services and air traffic control services, and overseeing designers of instrument approach procedures.
- Issuing licences, certificates, authorisations, approvals and other permissions required by persons undertaking a range of aviation-related activities in Australia.
- Providing advice and support to delegates and authorised persons in the aviation industry, and administering medical standards applicable to licence holders.
- Conducting regulatory oversight of operators’ drug and alcohol management plans, conducting alcohol and drug testing, and carrying out certain aviation security assessment functions.
- Providing an immediate response service to authorities requiring protected airspace at short notice.
- Fostering awareness in industry and the wider aviation community of the importance of aviation safety and compliance with the civil aviation legislation.
- Reviewing and analysing data and providing advice and recommendations in relation to the safety performance of the Australian aviation industry.
- Providing regulatory and technical training for CASA and industry.