Go to top of page
Before your flight
- Check the conditions of carriage of the airline you are travelling with
- Pack your own bags and make sure that baggage weight is within the airlines limits – this includes carry-on baggage
- Contact the airline if you have any special needs, prior to getting to the airport
- Obtain any medical clearances or approvals that you need (if applicable)
- Make sure you are not carrying anything you shouldn't such as dangerous goods on board the aircraft or in your baggage. Consult our 'Can I pack that?' app
- Pack everything you may need during your flight in your carry-on baggage such as medicines.
On the tarmac
- Always watch where you are going and follow the instructions of airline staff members
- You are not permitted to 'use' your portable electronic device between the terminal and the aircraft if you are walking on the tarmac
- Do not dawdle or veer from the path to the aircraft
- Be mindful of keeping control of small children
- If you need assistance, ask.
On board the aircraft
- Stow your baggage as instructed
- Watch the safety briefing every time you fly
- Take notice of announcements and signs
- Fasten your seatbelt, unless the aircraft is being refuelled
- Ensure children and infants are restrained appropriately
- Listen and follow the instructions from the crew on board the aircraft.
When you arrive at your destination
- Remain seated until the aircraft comes to a complete stop.
In an emergency
- Know the correct brace position for your seat allocation
- Know how to put on your oxygen mask
- Know where the flotation devices are and how to use them
- Know what to do if the aircraft fills with fire or smoke
- Know how to get out of the aircraft quickly – take note of the exits
- Stay calm and proceed quickly to the nearest exit when instructed
- Leave your baggage behind
- Remember to help others after you've helped yourself.