- Proposed amendments to CAO 100.96 - Administration and procedure - weight control of balloons and CAO 100.7 - Administration and procedure - weight control of aircraft
Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 100.7 and CAO 100.96 set out the requirements for the periodic weighing of aircraft, and balloons respectively, to establish their weight and centre of gravity. Historically this has been conducted by an appropriately authorised person, having a CASA issued Weight Control Authority (WCO).
The requirement for a WCO to conduct these activities has resulted in a cost and time burden on amateur built aircraft owner/builders who have found the process prohibitive. CASA is seeking legislation that would allow appropriately qualified and experienced owner/builders to conduct these activities on:
- amateur-built category aircraft accepted under an amateur built aircraft acceptance (ABAA) - under regulation 21.190 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulation 1998 (CASR 1998)
- amateur and kit built aircraft - under subregulations 21.191 (g) and 21.191 (h) of CASR 1998
- kit built light sport aircraft (LSA) aircraft - under subregulation 21.191 (j) of CASR 1998.
Additional changes are required throughout the CAO's to facilitate this, as well as to update references, all of which are machinery in nature.
Note: The draft compilations show the effect that the proposed amendment instruments would have on CAO 100.7 and 100.96.
How to respond
Please forward your response to CASA by 10 April 2015 by one of the following means:
- Post (no stamp required in Australia)
Reply Paid 2005
Standards Documentation Coordinator
CASA’s Standards Development and Quality Assurance Branch
Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SPC to CD 1427MS (88KB)
- Draft CAO 100.96 amendment instrument (172KB)
- Draft CAO 100.96 compilation (164KB)
- Draft CAO 100.7 amendment instrument (172KB)
- Draft CAO 100.7 compilation (312KB)
All comments should be submitted via the Project Leader, Zac Kennedy by close of business 10 April 2015.