- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online tools and apps
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 91 - General operating and flight rules
Part 91 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR) and its associated manual of standards (MOS) consolidates the general operating and flight rules for Australian aircraft.
Who Part 91 affects
Part 91 is the foundation for all aviation operations.
These are the rules of the air for pilots who are not operating under an Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) or other certificate.
If you are conducting an operation to which another CASR Part applies, then that part may add to or turn off some Part 91 requirements – either completely or partially.
- Part 91 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (content only pertains to certain navigation authorisations).
- Subpart 91.U Manual of Standards Instrument 2005.
- Project OS 99/08 - CASR Part 91: General operating and flight rules
- This project is linked to open projects for other CASR parts. Find out about these associated regulation developments at flight operations regulations.
Part 91 consultation and project history
This CASR Part 91 - history page lists all project and consultation activities (open, closed or completed) conducted in relation to Part 91.
|AC 21-45(1)||Airworthiness Approval of Airborne Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast Equipment||February 2013|
|AC 21-36(1)||Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) Equipment: Airworthiness Guidelines||January 2013|
|AC 91.U-01||Navigation Authorisations||December 2014|
|AC 91.U-04 v1.0||Airworthiness requirements for performance based navigation||February 2015|
|AC 91.U-II-C-6(0)||Navigation Authorisations – RNP AR Operations||September 2012|
|AC 91.U-2(0)||Required Navigation Performance 10 (RNP 10) Operational Authorisation||November 2005|
|AC 91U-3(0)||Required Navigation Performance 4 (RNP 4) Operational Authorisation||November 2005|