CASR Part 65 - Air traffic services licensing
Part 65 of CASR prescribes the requirements for issuing Air Traffic Control licences and associated ratings, endorsements and qualifications. This includes the privileges, limitations and conditions on such authorisations.
Who Part 65 affects
- Airservices Australia
- air traffic controllers
Part 65 post-implementation review (PIR)
Standards Development project AS 04/04 has been approved to review Part 65 of CASR.
The PIR will consider:
- Recency: The recency requirement and re-satisfaction of recency can be tailored to a particular location by use of a risk assessment process.
- Currency: A currency requirement will apply to persons returning to ATC duties after absences of 3 years or more.
- Life of authorisations: Ratings, Endorsements and Qualifications to be issued without expiry.
- English language proficiency: Current English language requirements to be updated to meet ICAO Annex 1 standards.
- Streamlined licence requirements: Eligible persons will be able to control for up to 28 days pending issue of licence document.
- Supervision: Regulations will now clarify the original intent that persons undertaking on-the-job training must be supervised by an on-the-job training instructor.
- Assessment: Regulations will now clarify the original intent that assessments must be conducted by a workplace assessor.
- Cancellation of licences: Licences will only be cancelled for safety reasons or breaches of regulations. Loss of medical fitness or retirement will no longer require cancellation of licence.
- Omission of duplicated regulations: Some of the administrative regulations have been omitted because they are now covered in CASR Part 11.
- Notifying CASA when competence is in doubt: To allow safety action to be taken, ATS providers will be able to notify CASA about controllers whose competence is in doubt.
Any amendments will be developed in close consultation with the Airspace and Infrastructure Users Group and issued in draft form for public comment. CASA will send notification via the Airspace and Aerodromes mailing list when proposed amendments are available for public consultation.
Part 65 can be found in volume 2 of the CASR 1998. Recent amendments to this Part may be listed in the Unincorporated Amendments.
Manual of Standards
The Part 65 Manual of Standards is available on the Federal Register of Legislation website.
|Air traffic controller licensing
Part 65 history
The Part 65 history includes project and consultation activities conducted in relation to Part 65.
Email: ATMS Standards