- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online tools and apps
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 61 - Flight crew licensing
Part 61 of CASR 1998 prescribes the requirements and standards for the issue of flight crew licences, ratings and other authorisations, including those issued to pilots and flight engineers. It also includes the privileges, limitations and conditions on such authorisations, and rules for the logging of flight time.
Who Part 61 affects
- aspiring and existing flight crew licence holders in the Australian aviation community
- pilots seeking to convert from an overseas pilot licence to the Australian equivalent, or obtain recognition of Australian military flight crew qualifications
- training organisations and their personnel
- Australian aircraft operators employing flight crew
Part 61 post-implementation review (PIR)
Since commencement, the Flight Crew Licensing regulations have been subject to post-implementation monitoring and procedural anomalies have been identified that require consideration and rectification.
Standards Development project FS 14/25 has been approved to review the flight crew licensing regulations. Any amendments will be issued in draft form for public consultation. CASA will send notification via the flight operations and licensing standards mailing list when proposed amendments are available for public consultation.
Part 61 can be found in volume 2 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998.
Manual of Standards
The Part 61 Manual of Standards is available on the Federal Register of Legislation website.
|AC 61-05 v1.0||Night VFR rating||(April 2016)|
|AC 61-08 v1.0||Teaching and assessing non-technical skills for single-pilot operations||(January 2017)|
Part 61 history
The Part 61 history includes project and consultation activities conducted in relation to Part 61.
View the Key Proposals for the initial development of Part 61.