- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online services
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 173 - Instrument flight procedure design
Part 173 of CASR prescribes the requirements for the certification of designers of instrument approach and departure procedures, including:
- the qualifications and training required for persons engaged in instrument flight procedure design
- the procedures to be used by organisations in the conduct of design work
- provisions for on-going maintenance of procedures.
Who Part 173 affects
- organisations intending to provide a design service, including aviation consultants, aircraft operators and airport owners/operators.
- individuals employed by certified designers who must meet minimum qualification and experience standards.
- CASA staff who are responsible for administering the certification of designers and their ongoing compliance.
Post-implementation review (PIR)
Standards Development project AS 04/02 has been approved to conduct a PIR of the Part 173 MOS. The PIR will review and amend the Part 173 MOS with the intent of amending its standards and provisions to reflect changes to technology and industry developments. This amendment process may proceed on a topic-by-topic basis to avoid large scale changes to the procedures design operating environment.
Any amendments will be issued in draft form for public consultation. CASA will send notification via the airspace and aerodromes mailing list when proposed amendments are available for public consultation.
Part 173 can be found in volume 4 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998. Note that recent amendments to this Part may be listed in the Unincorporated Amendments.
Manual of Standards
The Part 173 Manual of Standards is available on the Federal Register of Legislation website.
The Manual of Standards Part 173 Amendment Instrument 2017 (No. 1) commenced on 9 March 2017.
The amendment instrument revises certain provisions in the Part 173 Manual of Standards concerning procedure design authorisations and off-shore installations.
|AC 173-1(0)||Instrument flight procedure design: Applications for procedure design certificate||May 2003|
|AC 173-2(0)||Instrument flight procedure design: Approval of the appointment of a chief designer||May 2003|
|AC 173-3(0)||Instrument flight procedure design: Approval of courses||May 2003|
|AC 173-04 v2.1||Instrument procedures design: Clarification of RNAV and BARO/VNAV criteria||July 2016|
|AC 173-05 v1.0||Off-shore helicopter obstacle clearance check procedure||March 2017|
Part 173 history
The Part 173 history includes the Standards Development activities conducted in relation to Part 173.
View the Key Proposals for the initial development of Part 173.