CASR Part 171 - Aeronautical telecommunication service and radio navigation service providers
Part 171 of CASR 1998 prescribes the regulatory requirements and standards for the approval of organisations that provide, operate, and maintain aeronautical telecommunications used for air traffic services, and radio-navigation services used for air navigation.
Part 171 covers:
- procedures for approval of providers
- eligibility of service providers
- obligations and privileges of approved providers
- services to be provided
- qualifications and competency of technicians
- requirements and standards to be complied with by providers
- contents to be included in a provider's Operations Manual
- Safety Management System requirements
The Part requires service providers to comply with the standards of Annex 10 Aeronautical Telecommunications to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
Who Part 171 affects
- Airservices Australia (currently the exclusive provider of aeronautical telecommunications and radionavigation services)
- prospective providers of aeronautical telecommunications services.
To a lesser extent:
- The aviation community
- Users of services, particularly IFR pilots using aeronautical radionavigation services.
Part 171 can be found in volume 4 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998. Recent amendments to this Part may be listed in the Unincorporated Amendments.
Manual of Standards
The most recent Part 171 MOS compilation was registered on 16 August 2007. Historical amendments to the Part 171 MOS can be accessed by selecting 'View Series'.
The Manual of Standards Parts 139, 171, 172 and 173 Amendment Instrument 2016 (No. 1) commenced on 3 March 2016.
The amendments introduce standards for 2 new categories of low visibility landing operations, being special authorisation (SA) CAT I and SA CAT II operations, which may only be used by aircraft operated under an authorisation granted by CASA.
|AC 171-1(0)||Aeronautical telecommunication and radio navigation service providers - Guidelines for complying with the Part 171 requirements and standards||(March 2006)|
|AC 171-2(0)||Aeronautical telecommunication and radio navigation service providers - Guidelines for the preparation of safety cases covering CASR Part 171 services||(March 2006)|
|AC 171-3(0)||Aeronautical telecommunication and radio navigation service providers - Guidelines for the preparation of a safety management system (SMS)||(March 2006)|
|AC 171-4(0)||Software and its use in Aeronautical Telecommunication and Radio Navigation Services||(November 2006)|