- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online services
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 137 - Aerial application operations
Part 137 of CASR 1998 prescribes the rules that relate to flying and operating aeroplanes, and the maintenance of equipment, in aerial application operations.
'Aerial application operation' (or 'application operation') means:
- a flight that is carried out by an aeroplane to apply application material; and
- a flight by an aeroplane that is for, or partly for, one or more of the following:
- inspection of a work area
- pilot training or checking relating to a flight mentioned in paragraph (a)
- training of a crew member other than the pilot
- travel from a landing area to a work area and back
- the carriage of a passenger specified in regulation 137.135 for a purpose set out in that regulation
- preparation for any activities mentioned in paragraphs (a) and (b).
Who Part 137 affects
Part 137 affects aerial agricultural operators other than rotorcraft operators.
Post-implementation review (PIR)
Standards Development project OS 13/30 has been approved to conduct a PIR on the Part 137 regulatory framework. The PIR will include amendment of the current Part 137 to include rotorcraft aerial application operations.
Any amendments will be issued in draft form for public consultation. CASA will send notification via the flight operations and licensing standards mailing list when proposed amendments are available for public consultation.
Part 137 can be found in volume 3 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998. Recent amendments to this Part may be listed in the Unincorporated Amendments.
Part 137 history
The Part 137 history includes project and consultation activities conducted in relation to Part 137.
View the Key Proposals for the initial development of Part 137.