CASR Part 131 - Manned free balloons
The proposed Part 131 of Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR) will define the standards applicable for manned free balloons that are operated:
- privately for sport and recreation
- commercial passenger transport operations
- flight training operations
- specialised operations (currently known as aerial work).
The term 'free balloons' includes:
- hot air balloons
- gas balloons
- roziere balloons
- hot air airships.
The term excludes powered airships that derive their lift from gases other than heated air. This terminology change will align Australia with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) terminology.
Part 131 will contain all of the regulations that apply to the operation and maintenance of manned free balloons used in any capacity.
Part 131 replaces regulations that would otherwise be included in:
- Parts 42, 66, 145 and 147 in relation to maintenance and maintenance personnel
- Parts 61 and 141 in relation to flight crew licensing and training
- Parts 91, 135 and 136 in relation to flight operations
- Part 119 in relation to air operator certification.
Part 131 will cover all aspects of the regulation of manned free balloons and will take precedence over other CASR Parts where there is potential duplication of applicability. However, Parts 11, 13, 21, 39, 45, 47 and 67 would apply equally in respect of free balloons as to any other activities or aircraft, as these cover aspects that have general applicability. The existing Part 31 is specific to manned free balloons and will remain independent of Part 131.
Part 103, sport and recreational aviation operations will not include balloon operations.
Who Part 131 affects
Balloon owners, pilots, operators and maintainers who:
- currently hold an air operator’s certificate (AOC) or certificate of approval
- hold a maintenance authority under Subpart 33B of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR)
- hold a commercial pilot licence (CPL balloon)
- hold a private pilot certificate (PPC) issued by the Australian Balloon Federation.
Part 131 is currently under development through standards development project OS 00/08. The key proposals are for Part 131 to:
- contain the rules for the operation of balloons in one Part rather than by the current exceptions and exemptions
- maintain privileges and requirements for sport and recreational ballooning
- detail the extra regulations and standards that apply to air operator and approval certificate operations
- include specific information on:
- flying operations
- pilot licensing and certification
- balloon maintenance and continuing airworthiness
- balloon maintenance personnel authorisations and training
- balloon maintenance organisations
- application for, and grant of, air operator certificates and approval certificates.
- propose an internationally recognised PPL balloon and maintains the CPL balloon flight crew licence for free balloons and establishes free balloon licence class ratings, instructor ratings, examiner ratings
- require size endorsements within the hot air balloon class
- propose an alternative integrated training path to the CPL
- allow for a balloon night VFR endorsement
- maintain the PPC issued by an approved self-administering aviation organisation (ASAO) as a qualification for recreational and sport flying
- ensure Part 131 air operator certificate (AOC) holders will be audited for compliance with their exposition and manuals as a means of increasing industry involvement and accountability for safe operations
- establish a balloon maintenance engineer (BME) qualification and a balloon maintenance organisation (BMO) authorisation that will include provision for training of BMEs
- allow for independent BMEs not employed by a BMO.
Part 131 will be supported by a Manual of Standards (MOS). Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material (AMC/GM) will be published to support the legislation.
|AC 131-01 v1.1||Manned free balloons - airworthiness and operations||June 2016|
Part 131 history
The Part 131 history includes project and consultation activities conducted in relation to Part 131.
Email: Operations Standards
Sub-committee: Sport & Recreational Aviation Standards Sub-Committee