- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 119 - Australian air transport operators - certification and management
Parts 119 and 129 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR 1998) both deal with the issuing of Air Operator's Certificates (AOCs) to air operators — Part 119 is for Australian operators, Part 129 for foreign operators.
An Air Transport Operation means an operation in an aircraft:
- that is conducted for hire or reward or is otherwise publicly available
- that is a passenger transport operation or a cargo transport operation
- a passenger transport operation is an operation in an aircraft involving the carriage of passengers, whether or not cargo is carried on the aircraft. A passenger transport operation does not include, cost sharing operations, aerial work operations or an operation for the carriage of passengers in an aircraft with a certificate of airworthiness other than a standard certificate of airworthiness.
Such operations will require an AOC issued under Part 119 (or Part 131 for balloons). The suite of regulations that will require the operator to have a Part 119 AOC will be:
The requirements and issue of AOCs for balloons will be contained in Part 131.
Who Part 119 affects
Part 119 affects:
- current and potential aviation Regular Public Transport (RPT) operators
- current and potential aviation Charter operators
- professional aviation crew members
- safety critical aviation personnel
- individuals involved with the airworthiness and maintenance control of aircraft engaged in RPT and Charter operations
- other employees of RPT and Charter operators
- passengers in aeroplanes and rotorcraft
- carriers of air cargo in aeroplanes and rotorcraft
- operators of air cargo aircraft
- the new Air Transport Operations will combine the flexibility of charter operations with the safety benefits of RPT's structured training and checking.
Projects are opened to revise a CASR Part.
Part 119 open projects include:
- Project OS 20/01 Global Aeronautical Distress and Safety System (GADSS)
- Project OS 99/43 – CASR Part 119 Australian air transport operators – certification and management
Project OS 99/43 is part of a group of CASA projects associated with the flight operations regulations.
Consultation and project activities
Current rules in effect for Part 119 include:
- Part 119 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998.
Advisory material provide advice and guidance to explain particular regulatory requirements of a CASR Part.
There are currently no advisory documents for Part 119.