- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 105 - Sport and recreational parachuting from an aircraft - certification and operations
Part 105 of CASR 1998 will prescribe the rules for sport parachuting from an aircraft. This will include:
- maintenance and certification of parachutes
- standards for personnel
- minimum maintenance for aircraft used for training and tandem parachute operations
- minimum standards for pilots involved in parachuting operations, in addition to the general pilot licensing requirements prescribed in Part 61
- specific aircraft operating rules that will be additional to the general operating rules of Part 91 or the sport aviation rules of Part 103
- the conduct of parachute descents.
Until Part 105 comes into effect, Regulation 152 of CAR 1988 requires that a parachute descent must comply with CASA's written specifications, which are currently issued directly to the relevant administering organisations.
The proposed Part 105 rules for certification and conduct of parachuting operations will be complemented by proposed Part 149 rules for organisations that administer sport aviation activities (including sport parachuting).
Who Part 105 affects
- individuals and organisations involved in sport parachuting operations
- operators of aircraft used in sport parachuting operations
- users of common airspace.
Part 105 will only specify those matters that require the force of law. For those items not expressed in the law, Part 105 will require compliance with the rules of an administering organisation approved and listed in a Schedule to Part 149.
Part 105 will only contain rules specific to aircraft used in parachuting operations - general rules will be contained in Part 91 and sport aviation rules will be contained in Part 103.
The maintenance Subpart of Part 105 will include requirements for the maintenance of parachutes and include reference to maintenance personnel standards.
Aircraft operations involving sporting and recreational parachuting activities will not be classified as a commercial activity for the purpose of Regulation 206 of CAR 1988.
Part 105 history
The Part 105 history includes project and consultation activities conducted in relation to Part 105.