CASR Part 101 - Unmanned aircraft and rockets
Part 101 consolidates the rules governing all unmanned aeronautical activities into one body of legislation. It prescribes the rules for the use of unmanned moored balloons and kites, unmanned free balloons, unmanned rockets, remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), model aircraft, and pyrotechnic displays.
Who Part 101 affects
- organisations/individuals involved in unmanned balloons (including significant numbers of party balloons) and rocket operations
- organisers of firework displays
- model aircraft owners and operators
- research and development organisations
- law enforcement agencies
- surveillance organisations
- weather research organisations
- potential users of airborne telecommunications systems.
Post-implementation review (PIR)
Project US 14/18 has been approved to:
- review the provisions in Part 101 covering both model and other remotely-piloted aircraft, for effectiveness in managing the emerging risks associated with use of unmanned aircraft
- publish the Part 101 MOS, including any requirements emerging from the reviewed regulations.
Any amendments will be issued in draft form for public consultation. CASA will send notification via the consultation and rule making mailing list when proposed amendments are available for public consultation.
Part 101 can be found in volume 3 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998. Recent amendments to this Part may be listed in the Unincorporated Amendments.
Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Part 101) Regulation 2016 was made on 24 March 2016. These amendments commence on 29 September 2016.
|AC 101-01 v2.0||Remotely piloted aircraft systems - licensing and operations||(December 2016)|
|AC 101-2(0)||Unmanned aircraft and rockets - rockets||(July 2002)|
|AC 101-3(0)||Unmanned aircraft and rockets - model aircraft||(July 2002)|
|AC 101-05 v1.0||Functions and duties of RPAS maintenance controllers||(September 2016)|
|AC 101-10 v1.2||Remotely piloted aircraft systems - operation of excluded RPA (other than model aircraft)||(September 2016)|
Part 101 history
The Part 101 history includes project and consultation activities conducted in relation to Part 101.