CASR Part 101 - Unmanned aircraft and rockets
Part 101 consolidates the rules governing all unmanned aeronautical activities into one body of legislation. It prescribes the rules for the use of unmanned moored balloons and kites, unmanned free balloons, unmanned rockets, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), model aircraft, and pyrotechnic displays.
Who Part 101 affects
- organisations/individuals involved in unmanned balloons (including significant numbers of party balloons) and rocket operations
- organisers of firework displays
- model aircraft owners and operators
- research and development organisations
- law enforcement agencies
- surveillance organisations
- weather research organisations
- potential users of airborne telecommunications systems.
Post-implementation review (PIR)
Part 101 commenced on 1 July 2002. Two Standards Development projects have been approved to conduct PIRs on the Part 101 regulatory framework.
Project OS 11/20 has been approved to review the regulations and guidance material related to unmanned aircraft systems.
Project US 14/18 has been approved to:
- review the provisions in Subpart 101.G-Model Aircraft, for effectiveness in managing the emerging risks associated with use of unmanned aircraft which fall outside the scope of Subpart 101.F-UAVs
- amend the definition of light balloon in regulation 101.145 in order to align with the ICAO definition
- review all Part 101 subparts other than Subpart 101.F.
Part 101 can be found in volume 3 of the CASR 1998. Recent amendments to this Part may be listed in the Unincorporated Amendments.
Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Part 101) Regulation 2016 was made on 24 March 2016. These amendments commence on 29 September 2016.
|AC 101-01 v2.0||Remotely piloted aircraft systems - licensing and operations||(December 2016)|
|AC 101-2(0)||Unmanned aircraft and rockets - rockets||(July 2002)|
|AC 101-3(0)||Unmanned aircraft and rockets - model aircraft||(July 2002)|
|AC 101-05 v1.0||Functions and duties of RPAS maintenance controllers||(September 2016)|
|AC 101-10 v1.2||Remotely piloted aircraft systems - operation of excluded RPA (other than model aircraft)||(September 2016)|
Part 101 history
The Part 101 history includes project and consultation activities conducted in relation to Part 101.
Email: Operations Standards