- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 101 - Unmanned aircraft and rockets
Part 101 consolidates the rules governing all unmanned aeronautical activities into one body of legislation. It prescribes the rules for the use of unmanned moored balloons and kites, unmanned free balloons, unmanned rockets, remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), model aircraft, and pyrotechnic displays.
Who Part 101 affects
Part 101 affects:
- organisations/individuals involved in unmanned balloons (including significant numbers of party balloons) and rocket operations
- organisers of firework displays
- model aircraft owners and operators
- research and development organisations
- law enforcement agencies
- surveillance organisations
- weather research organisations
- potential users of airborne telecommunications systems.
Projects are opened to revise a CASR Part.
Part 101 open projects include:
- Project SS 19/03 - Consequential amendments to Subpart 101.H of CASR as a result of Australian Space Agency rule change
- Project US 18/09 Remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) registration and RPAS operator accreditation scheme.
Consultation and project activities
Current rules in effect for Part 101 include:
- Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998
- Part 101 (Unmanned Aircraft and Rockets) Manual of Standards 2019.
Advisory material provide advice and guidance to explain particular regulatory requirements of a CASR Part.
|AC 101-01 v3.0 (pdf 1.01 MB)||
Remotely piloted aircraft systems - licensing and operations
|AC 101-2(0)||Unmanned aircraft and rockets - rockets||July 2002|
|AC 101-03 v1.1 (pdf 352.77 KB)||Unmanned aircraft and rockets - model aircraft||August 2018|
|AC 101-05 v1.0||Functions and duties of RPAS maintenance controllers||September 2016|
|AC 101-10 v1.3 (pdf 674.5 KB)||Remotely piloted aircraft systems - operation of excluded RPA||August 2018|