Applying to become an ADO
Applying to become an Approved Design Organisation
The process an organisation will go through to become an Approved Design Organisation (ADO) is outlined below.
- First, complete the form21-j01.pdf (Form 21-J01).
- Send the completed, signed form to the Permissions Application Centre:
- via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- by mail to GPO Box 2005, Canberra, ACT 2601.
- CASA will compare your application to your existing CAR 30 certificate or Instrument of Approval for assessment for a 1:1 transition. If a cost is estimated, you will need to fulfil the payment requirements before your application can be progressed.
- Your application will be allocated a certificate number. Please use this as a reference number when developing the supporting documentation for the application.
- You will need to prepare an Approved Design Organisation Exposition (ADOE) and Design Assurance System Manual (DASM).
TIP: To make it easier for you to prepare these documents, CASA has developed the free online Manual Authoring and Assessment Tool (MAAT) which includes templates, guidance from the 021jc01.pdf, automated features and useful tips to help you write and submit manuals and expositions for assessment.
- A CASA representative will contact the nominated individual to establish the expected submission dates for the Approved Design Organisation Exposition (ADOE) and Design Assurance System Manual (DASM).
- Your application will be assessed when all relevant documentation has been received. Your exposition and Design Assurance System Manual will be assessed to confirm regulatory requirements are met. Any documents that you have referenced will also be assessed.
- CASA will conduct an on-site inspection to verify the procedures detailed in your exposition and Design Assurance System Manual.
- When all of the regulatory requirements have been met by the applicant, CASA will issue an approval certificate that contains the certificate number, name and address of the Approved Design Organisation and the scope of the approval certificate.
If your organisation needs to change the approval certificate after it has been issued, you may need to submit a CASA form21-j01.pdf and/or form21-j02.pdf and provide supporting documents. Your application will follow the approval process explained above. Nomination of accountable manager and head of design (please submit form4.pdf as well).
Which form do I use?
Please submit form21-j02.pdf for the following changes:
- Nomination of accountable manager and head of design (please submit Form 4 as well)
- Change of appointment of key persons other than accountable manager and head of design
- Change of postal address and/or contact details
- Other changes to the exposition or related manuals or procedures that will not result in the re-issue of your approval certificate.
If you are submitting a change to your exposition that will result in the re-issue of your approval certificate, you must also submit form21-j01.pdf. Relevant changes include:
- Change of name of the business
- Change of business/main address
- Changes to scope
Changes to the exposition and Design Assurance System Manual
Changes to the Approved Design Organisation Exposition and Design Assurance System Manual require the submission of CASA form21-j02.pdf and supporting documents. More information on the change requirements is provided in the form21-j02.pdf.
If you have any questions about the application process, please email the 21.J team directly.