Applying for an ATC licence
To apply for an Australian ATC licence if, you must:
- have turned 18;
- hold a Class 3 medical certificate;
- have successfully completed the training, including any examination or assessment, for:
- the licence,
- at least one rating, and
- at least one endorsement appropriate to the rating; and
- speak English clearly and understand spoken English to a standard that allows clear, spoken, two-way communication in the course of performing an ATC function.
Before submitting an application for an ATC licence you will need to ensure that you meet all the CASR Part 65 requirements for the award of an ATC licence. This includes qualifying for an ATC rating and an endorsement relevant to that rating.
You will need a CASA Aviation Reference Number (ARN) which you can obtain by submitting Form 1162 - Aviation Reference Number (ARN) student pilot licence – application.
You will then need to complete Form 906 - Air Traffic Controller (ATC) Initial Licence / Additional Rating & Exchange Application, ensuring that:
- All personal particulars are correct.
- You check the box(es) relevant to the rating(s) applied for.
- You sign and date the application form in the relevant place.
- The application form is signed by a qualified ATS Work Place Assessor.
Finally, mail or fax the completed documents to CASA ATS Licensing.