- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Apply for an Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate
An Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC) is required by anyone who needs to communicate on an aviation air-band radio frequency and is not already licenced or qualified.
This includes aircraft maintenance engineers, maintenance organisations and remote pilot licence (RePL) holders. Other people who need an AROC may also include airport or emergency personnel.
On this page
To obtain an AROC, you must:
- be at least 17 years old
- have an aviation reference number – apply online in minutes.
- have completed training through a registered training organisation or a person/ organisation who holds a CASR Part 64.012 approval to conduct AROC training and assessments
- have been assessed as meeting the required competency
- have a current English Language Proficiency assessment – this may be an AELP assessment at level 4, 5 or 6 or a GELP assessment
Training can be conducted by pilot instructors, some Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) and individuals with approval.
An assessor with appropriate training and endorsements will assess you to determine if you meet the required standards and make the application to CASA on your behalf.
Make sure your assessor has your full name and aviation reference number.
An AROC application can be made online by a qualified assessor on behalf of the student. Assessors must notify CASA of the successful outcome of AROC assessments.
Flight instructors and assessors who have an 'Instrument of Approval', can complete the AROC application online.
Assessors who do not have an ‘Instrument of Approval’ to conduct AROC training and assessments, will need to complete the Aeronautical radio operator certificate form 64-ROC (pdf 302.47 KB)
Apply for an AROC
- Log into myCASA using your individual account.
- Select ‘apply for an Aircraft Radio Operators Certificate’.
- Enter your student’s details and required information.
- Confirm details.
- Pay - you will need to make a payment to complete the application on behalf of a student. Consider how you will pass the fee on to your student.
- Submit your application.
View our help information, including a manual paper-based form, if required.
After you have submitted the application, you’ll receive an email confirmation. It will:
- let you know that application was successful
- confirm student details entered
- provide you with a payment receipt.
Your student will also receive an email from us with confirmation of their qualification. This will occur within minutes of the application being processed.