Apply for transition
The transitional provisions of the new licensing regulations allow for a transition period up to 31 August 2018.
To continue operating flight training activities beyond 31 August 2018, organisations will need to transition to the new regulations.
To transition, you will need to do the following.
On receipt of your Statement of Intent to Transition form, CASA will review your existing operations and contact your organisation to schedule a transition briefing session.
The Statement of Intent is also applicable to CAR 217 operators intending to transition to the new regulations.
2) Attend the briefing session scheduled for your organisation.
The briefing session should cover the following:
- the transition requirements, including what documentation you might need to provide
- the transition application process
- associated costs for any new activities you are adding (note: CASA will not charge a fee for assessing your application where you are simply transitioning existing activities and authorisations across to the new rules. However, if you wish to apply for additional flying training or other Part 141 and/or Part 142 activities, CASA is required to charge a regulatory service fee for that component of the assessment in accordance with cost recovery guidelines)
- your organisation’s transition plan and schedule
- other information relevant to your transition.
CASA will send you a letter to confirm the agreed submission date(s), and the list of documents you will be required to provide.
If you are transitioning with new, additional flight training activities, CASA will also provide the estimated costs applicable to these additional activities.
The estimate is based on an hourly rate of either $160 or $190.
3) Conduct preparation activities such as developing your documents, including an exposition (if applicable).
A periodic review and monitoring of your progress against the transition is highly recommended. If there are delays that will affect the agreed submission dates of your exposition and other supporting documentation, please contact your CASA Regional Office immediately.
4) Once your required documents are ready and complete, submit your transition documentation, including a cover letter indicating your formal application to transition, to the following address:
By email: email@example.com
By fax (07) 3144 7333
By post: Permission Application Centre (Brisbane)
GPO Box 2005
CANBERRA ACT 2601
On receipt of the required documentation, CASA will commence the assessment based on the schedule in the transition plan.
On completion of the assessment, CASA will make a decision to issue or not to issue a new authorisation based on the merits of your submission.