Applications and other information - AVID
It is recommended that you read the information below, as well as the information on Identification and Certifying Documents, before completing and submitting an application. You should also read the guidance material provided in pages 3-5 of the application form.
AVID Application Form (This form is for applications and renewals)
If you require assistance completing the form or if you have questions which are not answered by the information on this site, please email email@example.com.
All applicants must provide two identical passport-sized photographs that meet the requirements below:
- Must have been taken within six months before the issue of the AVID
- Portrait format: between 35mm and 40mm wide and between 45mm and 50mm high
- With good quality colour on high quality paper, no ink marks on the image
- Appropriate brightness and contrast to show skin tones correctly; resolution not grainy; sharp focus and clear
- One photograph must be certified as a true likeness of the applicant by the person who certifies the proof of identity documents.
The photograph must:
- Be of your head and top of shoulders; looking straight at the camera, show your shoulders square on (not portrait style with you looking over one shoulder)
- Show your face square on with both ears visible (if the hair covers the ears, both edges of the face must be visible)
- Be taken with a neutral expression with your mouth closed, be close-up, so the head takes up most of the photograph (70-80% - see diagram in Section 3 of the application form)
- Have a plain, light-coloured background; taken with uniform lighting (no shadows across the face)
- Show eyes clearly open and visible, not obscured by hair, show your eyes clearly through glasses, if worn, with no flash reflection from the glasses, and no tinted lenses; if possible, avoid heavy frames
- Show you without any hat or other head covering – if you wear a head-covering for religious reasons, we will accept a photograph of you wearing this, but features must be visible from top of forehead to tip of chin, and from both sides of the face.
What does an AVID cost?
The below fees apply as of 1 August 2017.
- Under 18 AVID – not eligible to apply
- AVID initial application $206
- AVID Renewal $206
- AVID Replacement $109
How do the security requirements affect you?
If you do not have a current flight crew licence, special pilot licence or ASIC
In addition to applying for your licence you need to apply for an Aviation Security Status Check (which is reflected by the issue of an AVID or an ASIC). When your application is completed and you pass the check you will be issued with a photographic licence and an AVID which will be valid for up to five years or an ASIC which will be valid for up to two years.
If you are under 18 years of age
If you are an ASIC applicant under the age of 18, you will be required to undergo a background check that includes a security assessment and, if required, an immigration check. A criminal history check is not included for applicants under 18 years of age.
If you are younger than 14 years of age, your parent or guardian must provide written consent on your application form in order for you to undergo the security assessment.
If you hold a current CASA licence
If you operate an aircraft in Australian Territory and you need to hold a licence issued by CASA you must have a current AVID or ASIC or must have applied to CASA for an aviation security status check.
Alternatively, you can apply for an ASIC through any other ASIC issuing authority.
Remember, if you operate an aircraft in Australian Territory and you need to hold a licence issued by CASA you must have a current AVID or ASIC or must have applied for an aviation security status check.
In addition to the licensing requirements there are requirements for securing aircraft and entering secure areas at certain airports that you should be familiar with. You can find out about these responsibilities from the Department of Infrastructure and Transport website.
Also, if you hold a flight crew licence or special pilot licence and are convicted of certain offences, you must notify CASA in writing of the conviction and any sentence within seven days. Details of which convictions apply can be found in section 6.01 of the Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005.
If you hold an ASIC or AVID and you change your name, you must notify your issuing authority within 30 days after the change. The notification must br in the form of a statutory declaration and must be accompanied by documentation proving the name change. Fees may apply for card reissues.
If an AVID is lost, stolen or destroyed the holder of the AVID must make a report, in the form of a statutory declaration, to the authority that issued the card within 7 days of becoming aware of the loss, theft or destruction. Fees may apply for card reissues.