- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Applications and other information - ASIC
It is strongly recommended that you read the information below, as well as the information on Identification and Certifying Documents before completing and submitting an application. You should also read the guidance material in the application form.
If you require assistance with completing the form or if you have questions which are not answered by the information on this site, please direct your enquires to the phone numbers and email accounts noted on the application form.
All applicants must provide two identical passport-sized photographs that meet the requirements below:
- Must have been taken within 6 months before the issue of the ASIC;
- Portrait format: between 35mm and 40mm wide and between 45mm and 50mm high;
- With good quality colour on high quality paper, no ink marks on the image;
- Appropriate brightness and contrast to show skin tones correctly; resolution not grainy; sharp focus and clear.
The photograph must:
- Be of your head and top of shoulders; looking straight at the camera, show your shoulders square on (not portrait style with you looking over one shoulder);
- Show your face square on with both ears visible (if the hair covers the ears, both edges of the face must be visible);
- Be taken with a neutral expression with your mouth closed, be close-up, so the head takes up most of the photograph (70-80% - see diagram in Section 4 of the application form);
- Have a plain, light-coloured background; taken with uniform lighting (no shadows across the face);
- Show eyes clearly open and visible, not obscured by hair, show your eyes clearly through glasses, if worn, with no flash reflection from the glasses, and no tinted lenses; if possible, avoid heavy frames;
- Show you without any hat or other head covering - if you wear a head-covering for religious reasons, we will accept a photograph of you wearing this, but features must be visible from top of forehead to tip of chin, and from both sides of the face.
What does an ASIC cost?
The fees below apply as of 1 September 2016.
- Under 18 ASIC - $198.50
Note: ASIC will be valid for 6 months after 18th birthday*
- Initial ASIC - full security check required $256.50
- ASIC renewal - $256.50
- Replacement of an ASIC - $108.00
* Under 18 ASIC will be cancelled if you do not apply for a security check before you are 18 years and 3 months of age.
How do the security requirements affect you?
If you do not have a current flight crew licence or ASIC
In addition to applying for your licence you need to apply for an Aviation Security Status Check (which is reflected by the issue of an AVID or an ASIC). When your application is completed and you pass the check you will be issued with a photographic licence and an ASIC which will be valid for up to two years, or an AVID which will be valid for up to five years.
If you are not applying for a license you could apply for an ASIC from another issuing body. A list of issuing bodies can be found on the Home Affairs website.
If you are under 18 years of age
If you are an ASIC applicant under the age of 18, you will be required to undergo a background check that includes a security assessment and, if required, an immigration check. A criminal history check is not included for applicants under 18 years of age.
If you are younger than 14 years of age, your parent or guardian must provide written consent on your application form in order for you to undergo the security assessment.
If you hold a current CASA licence
If you operate an aircraft in Australian Territory and you need to hold a licence issued by CASA you must have a current AVID or ASIC or must have applied for an aviation security status check.
You can either apply to CASA for an AVID or ASIC or alternatively you can apply for an ASIC through any other ASIC issuing authority. A list of issuing bodies can be found on the