Annual Report 2007-08 Part 4 Complaints and investigations
Complaints and investigations
In 2007–08, the Commonwealth Ombudsman received one complaint relating to CASA (two in 2006–07). On 10 April 2008, the Commonwealth Ombudsman recorded an administrative deficiency on the basis of inadequate advice, explanation or reasons, in that CASA did not assist an applicant to make a valid request for access to documents under section 15(3) of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 when the applicant first attempted to request documents.
Industry Complaints Commissioner
This year, complaints about CASA to the ICC have declined compared to previous years. They continued to be received over a broad range of areas and issues concerning CASA’s oversight and regulatory responsibilities for aviation and aviation safety.
During 2007–08, the ICC received:
- 173 complaints about CASA actions, decisions and service
- 143 complaints about the aviation industry
- 82 information reports relating to the aviation industry and safety from both the industry and the public.
ICC investigations during 2007–08 resulted in 19 formal confidential reports to the CEO with recommendations for changes, amendments to CASA processes or other initiatives to resolve complaint issues. The reports covered issues such as the following:
- CASA aircrew licensing and medicals
- CASA regulatory processes and CASA audits of a small air operator certificate holder
- complaints from a high-capacity operator and CASA oversight
- Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer licensing issues
- small airports and complaints relating to them
- CASA oversight of a regional airline
- two investigations on the basis of complaints to the Commonwealth Ombudsman
- helicopter mustering industry
- complaints by individuals concerning CASA decisions
- private flying operations and charity flights.
Information on the timeframes for complaint resolution and the means of lodgement, are at tables 4.1 and 4.2.
|Timeframe for response and resolution||Complaints (%)|
|Within 28 days||36|
|Within 60 days||11|
|Within 120 days||7|
|Greater than 120 days||8|
|Means of lodgement||Complaints (%)|
|CASA web-based online form||9|
|Letters and facsimiles||6|
|Direct telephone call||5|
Table 4.3 shows the number of coronial inquiries in which CASA was involved during 2007–08 and during the previous four financial years.
|Inquiries on hand from previous year||1||3||1||4||2|
|Conclusions handed down||2||3||1||5||3|
|Inquiries remaining in progress as at 30 June 2008||2||1||4||2||2|