Fatigue regulatory and resource information
New fatigue management rules, which set out an improved safety regime for fatigue management for flight crew members, came into effect in Australia in April 2013. Existing operators have until 30 April 2016 to transition. The new rules are contained in Civil Aviation Order 48.1 Instrument 2013 (the new CAO 48.1) and are supported by Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) 48-1.
- Civil Aviation Order 48.1 Instrument 2013 incorporating amendments up to Civil Aviation Order 48.1 Amendment Instrument 2013 (No. 1)
- NFRM 1202OS - Notice of Final Rule Making (NFRM) 1202OS - Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members - Amendment to CAO Part 48
- Includes 16 guiding principles on which rules were developed.
- Annex A - Summary of Responses to NPRM 1202OS
- Annex B - List of Respondents to NPRM 1202OS - Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members
- Annex E - RIS - Review and Amendment of Flight Crew Fatigue Regulations
- Annex F - Bibliography of Research Pertaining to Fatigue Science
Fatigue related information
- Fatigue - The Rules Are Changing booklet (Available as PDF download or via hardcopy from the CASA online store)
- Access links to a wide range of fatigue-related information
- Watch the Out-N-Back video series: ‘Episode Three’ is dedicated to fatigue management issues and there is also additional information under 'Safety Topics' menu (on the right hand side of the page).
ICAO Fatigue Management Resources
- Standards and recommended practices
- Fatigue Management Guidance Material (IATA, ICAO and IFALPA)
- Examples of Fatigue Management Regulations
- Articles and Publications
View the ICAO Fatigue Management Resources.
- Fatigue Management Strategies for Aviation Workers: A Training & Development Workbook (95 pages, 1.73 MB, May 2012)
- Trainer's Handbook (20 pages, 881 KB, May 2012)
- Employee Training Assessment (23 pages, 806 KB, May 2012)
- Presentation - Fatigue Management for Employees, May 2012 (2.77 MB)