Fatigue management resources
The following collection of material is available to help you understand and apply the fatigue rules.
Fatigue regulations for operators and pilots
Our fatigue rules for operators and pilots page has information about the rules currently in force.
View the guidance document to see how CAO 48.1 Instrument 2013 has been amended by the 2016 improvements. This is a useful compilation showing the fatigue rules that all operators must transition to by the 1 May 2018 transition deadline.
Why the fatigue rules have changed
The following video and report outline the importance of managing pilot fatigue and the principles that underpin the latest fatigue management rules:
- watch the CASA Safety Video - Fatigue on CASA’s YouTube channel
- read the report A review of the case for change: Scientific support for CAO 48.1 Instrument 2013.
Learn about the new fatigue rules
Fatigue - the rules have changed booklet gives an overview of the approach to fatigue management under the new rules and practical information on causes, effects and strategies for managing fatigue.
Learn more about the extension to the transition timeline and what it may mean for you.
Visit our questions and answers page for popular information on how the new rules apply to operators and pilots.
View the at-a-glance diagram to see the appendices available to operators under the fatigue rules that all operators must comply with by the transition deadline.
Guidance material to help operators meet their obligations under the new fatigue rules
The following guidance material has been developed to assist operators meet their obligations under the new fatigue rules.
- Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) 48-01 - Fatigue management for flight crew members provides guidance on meeting the operator and flight crew member obligations required under CAO 48.1 Instrument 2013 (as amended by the 2016 improvements).
Implementing appendices 2-6
- Plan on a page: updating your operations manual to comply with the new fatigue rules provides a simple, step-by-step approach and useful things to consider when updating your operations manual to comply with the new rules.
- Fatigue hazard identification activity helps you to start thinking about hazards, existing controls and additional risk management in preparation for updating your procedures.
- Fatigue management strategies for aviation industry - fatigue management strategies for aviation workers: A training and development workbook should be used in conjunction with Fatigue management for the Australian aviation industry - employee training assessment (below).
- Fatigue management for the Australian aviation Industry - employee training assessment guides assessment of individual competence in each of the topics covered in our fatigue management workbook.
- Fatigue management for the Australian aviation industry - trainer's handbook provides trainers with the tools and strategies to prepare and deliver the face-to-face component of the employee training.
- Fatigue management for the Australian aviation industry - fatigue management for employees is a PowerPoint training presentation to be used in conjunction with our trainer's handbook (above).
- View a suggested fatigue training syllabus.
Operations manual supplement templates
Operations manual supplement templates for the following appendices are published alongside CAAP 48-01 to assist operators develop an operations manual amendment (including fatigue management processes, procedures and limits) that would satisfactorily meet the required standard:
- Appendix 1 - Basic limits (open to everyone)
- Appendix 4 - Single pilot operations
- Appendix 4B - Medical transport and emergency service operations as defined by CAO 48.1
- Appendix 5 - Aerial work operations and flight training associated with aerial work
- Appendix 5A - Daylight aerial work operations and flight training associated with aerial work
- Appendix 6 - Flight training
Operations manual supplement diagram shows how your operations manual could be structured.
Implementing a fatigue risk management system (FRMS) (appendix 7)
- Fatigue Risk Management Systems (FRMS) booklet provides an overview of fatigue risk management systems to help organisations in deciding which fatigue appendix/ices best suit their operation.
- Watch our demystifying FRMS video to learn about the benefits of FRMS and how it is scalable to suit any size operation.
- ICAO FRMS guidance material for developing your fatigue risk management system.
- Fatigue risk management system process manual outlines the entry control requirements for processing your FRMS application. It should be used in conjunction with the Fatigue risk management system handbook (below).
- FRMS checklist - Form 817 FRMS progress monitoring tool for operators is a joint industry and CASA checklist to track your progress during the development of an FRMS.
- Fatigue risk management system (FRMS) integration is a practical guide for small and medium-sized operations that want to run their FRMS within a safety management system (SMS).
- Fatigue risk management system handbook will tell you about our approval process and also supports the fatigue risk management system process manual.
- Biomathematical fatigue models guidance document - March 2014 provides information on the application of biomathematical fatigue models for use as optional components of FRMS.
- Form 824A - statement of intent to request CASA approval of an FRMS. Submit Form 824A with the other documentation needed to organise a no-fee, voluntary, pre-application meeting with us.
- Form 824B - Application for approval of a FRMS.
- Form 817 FRMS progress monitoring tool for operators is a joint industry and CASA checklist to track progress and communications during the course of development of an FRMS.
Video case studies
The following videos show how a range of operators are putting the new fatigue rules in place:
Watch this video for useful transition ‘tips and tricks’ from the CASA North Queensland Region team.
Resources for pilots
- Visit our fatigue fighting tips page for practical ideas on how to manage pilot fatigue and download the infographic poster.
- Visit our pilot wellbeing page for information and resources regarding physical and mental health.
- Learn about human factors and access resources including our Safety behaviours and human factors for pilots resource kit.
Browse useful links on fatigue-related information for online resources to help operators and pilots manage fatigue risk.