- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Amendment to protection and use of safety information – Civil Aviation Orders (CAO) 82.3 and 82.5
The amendments to CAO 82.3 and 82.5 were made on 14 August 2020 and will come into effect on 14 December 2020.
Who the changes apply to?
- RPT Operators
- Pilots and other operational personnel working within an operator’s SMS
Why have the CAOs been amended?
The CAOs have been amended to:
- enhance the protection of safety information and the sources of such information
- facilitate the continued availability of safety information to maintain or improve aviation safety
- clarify the definition of safety information in relation to the protective objectives reflected in the proposed amendments
- ensure the application of rational ‘just culture’ principles consistent with our regulatory philosophy and amendment 1 to Annex 19 to the Chicago Convention
- respond to feedback received via previous consultation on the protection and use of safety information.
These changes are the first step in articulating the balance between the principles of protection of safety information, and the principles of exception to ensure the objectives of Amendment 1 to Annex 19 are more fully reflected in the relevant provisions of the civil aviation legislation.
The amendments will be incorporated into the corresponding provisions of Subpart 119.F of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR), which commences in December 2021.
Explaining the change
We will release guidance material to help explain how the amendments will work in practice and what you need to do. In the meantime, please:
- view the amended Civil Aviation Orders 82.3 and 82.5 on the Federal Register of Legislation website
- visit the Consultation Hub to read the summary of consultation.
Affected operations will have until 14 December 2020 to transition and fully implement the changes into their Safety Systems Manual (SMS).