- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online services
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
- Dangerous goods
- Drug and alcohol management plans
- Emergencies and incident reporting
- Fatigue management
- Human factors
- Safety management systems
- Advice for air travellers
Human factors are issues affecting how people do their jobs. They are the social and personal skills, such as communication and decision making which complement our technical skills. These are important for safe and efficient aviation.
The study of human factors involves applying scientific knowledge about the human body and mind to help understand human capabilities and limitations. Human factors knowledge can be used to reduce the likelihood of errors and build more error tolerant and more resilient systems.
Legislation and guidance
We have legislation and guidance material, including Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASRs) and Civil Aviation Advisory Publications (CAAPs) that you can read for more information.
Safety behaviours and human factors for pilots resource kit
We released a safety behaviours resource kit in 2009 to provide a stronger focus on human factors training within the Australian aviation environment. This includes low capacity regular public transport, charter operations, flying training organisations and private operators in particular. It is available from CASA's online store.
Safety behaviours and human factors for engineers resource kit
We have a safety behaviours resource kit for aircraft maintenance engineers and small to medium-sized maintenance organisations. Larger organisations may find it a useful supplement to existing human factors programs or a basis to build a program.
The kit includes:
- Resource guide for engineers
- Workbook for engineers
- Facilitator's guide
- A DVD featuring a drama, Crossed Wires, portraying a fictitious maintenance organisation; Right Connection and 'What the experts say' a series of 12 interviews with HF specialists.
- CD-ROM of resources
You can download any part of the kit, or hard copies are available from CASA's online store.
Other links and resources
There are other external links and resources you can read about human factors.
Human factors, automation and safety
- Operational Use of Flight Path Management Systems: Overview of the final report of the Performance-Based Operations Aviation Rulemaking Committee (PARC)/ Commercial Aviation Safety Team (CAST) Flight Deck Automation Working Group
- Flight path management
- What monitoring and intervention skills do pilots need?
- Manual flight operations
- FAA LOC-I Mitigation Strategies
- Operational Use of Flight Path Management Systems: Status of Recommendations of the Performance-Based Operations Aviation Rulemaking Committee (PARC)/ Commercial Aviation Safety Team (CAST) Flight Deck Automation Working Group
- Operational Policies and Training?
For general enquiries about human factors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last modified: 4 March 2016