- Advice for air travellers
- Air travel
- Dangerous goods
- Drug and alcohol management plans
- Emergencies and incident reporting
- Fatigue management
- Human factors
- Safety management systems
What are dangerous goods?
Dangerous goods are items or substances that when transported by aircraft are a risk to health, safety, property or the environment.
These include obvious things, such as: explosives, radioactive materials, flammable liquids, dangerous or volatile chemicals, strong acids, compressed gases, poisons and aerosols.
Everyday items that can cause problems include toiletries, aerosols, tools and lithium batteries.
Read about some real-life dangerous goods incidents.
Safety is everyone's responsibility and failing to declare dangerous goods can result in fines or imprisonment.
Contact your airline or CASA with your dangerous goods queries, or the Australian Government's TravelSECURE site for security related questions. Remember — if in doubt, ask!
Information for passengers
- Can I pack that? - dangerous goods app
- Before you pack your bags
- Least wanted dangerous goods
- General passenger safety information
- What are the rules?
- Options for sending dangerous goods
- Hazard and handling labels
- Suppliers and consultants
- Dangerous goods services
Dangerous goods training
Legislation and resources
- Regulations - Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) Part 92
- Advisory Circulars – Dangerous Goods
- Special Provision A180 - Non-infectious specimens supported or preserved in Alcohol/Formaldehyde
- Part 92 Post Implementation Review
- Dangerous goods forms
- Dangerous Goods posters at the CASA online store
- CASA Dangerous goods regulatory services
- Dangerous goods - risk reduction strategy
- You can contact our dangerous goods inspectors by emailing your query to email@example.com, calling 131 757 or by fax to 1300 851 857.
- You can find more information about prohibited security items on the Australian Government's TravelSECURE site.
- Your airline or freight forwarder can also answer your dangerous goods queries.
- Australian Dangerous Goods Air Transport Council (ADGATC) the industry body for dangerous goods air transport issues.
- Subscribe to the CASA dangerous goods mailing list.