- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Prescriptive rules with modification
On this page
An operator may transition to the prescriptive rules in Appendices 1 to 6 of the CAO with some minor variation.
- Review Appendices 1 to 6 inclusive of the CAO to identify the most appropriate appendix that corresponds to your operation.
- If you identify that a minor variation is required for your operation, obtain approval from CASA for the minor variation.
- If a minor variation is required to take effect by 1 July 2020, obtain approval from CASA by 30 June 2020. A fee waiver is in place covering all applications submitted by 1 November 2020.
- Consider the Fatigue - Transition policy and minor variations policy (pdf 593.95 KB) (Annex 1) before making an application for approval of a minor variation.
- Accompany your Fatigue - limited or minor non-compliance (minor variation) application (pdf 1.18 MB) with the required information, updated operations manual and Fatigue compliance declaration form (pdf 632.09 KB).
Guidance material is available to assist you identify the changes required to your operations manual, develop fatigue management policies and procedures and develop training material.
CASA’s Transition Policy provides detailed information for operators on how to meet transition timeframes and comply with the new rules.
- An operator is required to make an application to CASA for approval of the minor variation to the prescriptive rules in Appendices 2 to 6 of the CAO.
- CASA will check compliance during future surveillance safety oversight activities.
- An operator is required to apply for a minor variation (which includes an operations manual and Fatigue compliance declaration form (pdf 632.09 KB)).
- CASA encourages operators to submit the Fatigue - limited or minor non-compliance (minor variation) application (pdf 1.18 MB) at least three months before the minor variation is required to take effect. For example, if the minor variation is to take effect on 1 July 2020, the completed application should be submitted by 1 April 2020.