- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Sample operations manual supplements for appendices 1 to 6
Sample operations manual supplements can be used as a starting point for the development of processes, procedures and limits to manage fatigue. You will still need to amend, delete and supplement as necessary to suit your organisation’s current or proposed work procedures, existing structure and operational characteristics. Specific items that need to be amended:
- anywhere XXXX
or similar is shown in the text will need to be amended to reflect your AOC holder’s name, the CEO’s name, the organisation’s name, or specific information particular to the organisation.
- limits have not been included - the limit you apply must be informed by a Hazard ID and risk assessment and must not exceed the maximum limit prescribed in the relevant Appendix.
- the tables and forms will need to be labelled to suit your organisation’s operations manual or exposition.
- the definitions are specifically for CAO 48.1 Instrument 2019 and may not be consistent with those used elsewhere in your operations manual or exposition.
- the flight and duty time maximum hours documented in your operations manual or exposition supplement, should be considered taking into account your actual situation — for example, this may involve limiting flight times for inexperienced instructors conducting circuit work or aerobatics.
- the numbering used may need to be amended to suit your organisation’s numbering system.
- text in orange italics are notes for the author when developing their procedures and must be removed from the finished supplement submitted to CASA.
Operators are strongly advised to refer to CAAP 48-01 v.3.2 when developing their fatigue management processes whether using this document or not. Liaise with your local regional office when developing your fatigue management approach particularly if it is considerably different from this supplement.
If you wish to use the sample operations supplement as the basis for documenting acceptable processes, procedures and limits for your organisation, it is preferred that you submit only this supplement (modified as required) and not the entire operations manual. A CASA inspector will then assess whether the modified supplement complies with CAO 48.1 Instrument 2019 and provide feedback. It is necessary that you incorporate the supplement in your operations manual so that it is controlled before you operate to the new rules. It is therefore advisable to choose a transition date that is far enough in the future to allow time for this process as well as time for any modification to procedures and processes. Once the supplement has been accepted by the CASA inspector you can then incorporate the supplement into your operations manual in whatever manner best suits your operational needs and then submit a final copy of the operations manual to the CASA regional office.
If a sample operations manual supplement is used (with appropriate operator specific modifications) CASA anticipates this will expedite the process by which you will receive assurance that your operations manual is compliant.
Finalising the submission
Once you have filled in all of the areas designated by the highlighted text, ensure your spelling and details are correct and that you have removed the highlight feature (e.g. the green highlight) from the document. Submit the sample operations manual supplement to CASA.
Sample operations manual supplements:
- Appendix 1 - Basic limits (docx 129.99 KB)
- Appendix 2 - Multi-crew operations (except flight training) (docx 1.99 MB)
- Appendix 3 - Multi-crew operations (except flight training and complex operations) (docx 1.9 MB)
- Appendix 4 - Any operations (for single-pilot operations, but available to all) (docx 1.61 MB)
- Appendix 4A - Ballooning operations (docx 1.56 MB)
- Appendix 4B - Medical transport and emergency services (docx 1.58 MB)
- Appendix 5 - Aerial work operations (including flight training associated with aerial work) (docx 1.57 MB)
- Appendix 5A - Aerial work (daylight only, including helicopter mustering) (docx 1.57 MB)
- Appendix 6 - Flight training (docx 1.94 MB)