- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
DAMP exemption - use of pre-hiring drug and alcohol tests
This instrument replaces CASA EX42/16 Exemption – use of pre-hiring drug and alcohol tests, which expired end of February 2019.
What is it?
This exemption allows organisations with a Drug and Alcohol Management Plan (DAMP) to accept pre-hiring/pre-deployment drug and alcohol test results obtained within the preceding 90 days for newly-hired employees performing safety sensitive aviation activities.
The conditions in this CASA instrument are in accordance with proposed policy changes in future amendments to the CASR Part 99 regulations.
What has changed?
The new instrument includes the following changes:
- the previously conducted drug and alcohol test does not have to be conducted by a DAMP organisation. The requirement is only that testing be conducted to a relevant Standard as defined under regulation 99.010 of the CASR. This takes into consideration new personnel previously employed by organisations not having or requiring a DAMP (e.g. from other industries, or contractors).
- reporting to CASA of the pre-deployment tests conducted is no longer required (Note: The requirement to maintain a record of drug and alcohol testing still remains).
- for pre-hiring drug tests, the previous instrument required that the pre-hiring drug test be conducted under the same relevant Standard used by the new employer organisation (i.e. oral fluid standard or urine Standard). This is now amended to only require that the pre-hiring drug test be conducted to either the oral fluid or urine Standard. This is due to the Standard itself being the mechanism for maintaining integrity of a drug test.
How does my organisation apply?
This is a standard instrument issued by CASA to provide exemption to a particular aspect of Part 99B of the CASR.
Therefore, there is no formal application process or cost recovery associated with this instrument. The conditions of this instrument may be applied to your organisation’s DAMP in order to become part of its documented processes.
Need more information?
Please ensure all conditions are read and understood prior to incorporating this instrument with your DAMP processes.
For more information or assistance with queries related to this instrument, please email email@example.com.