- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
DAMP exemption for micro-businesses
On this page
The exemption for micro-businesses CASA EX66/18 has expired and has been replaced under CASA EX81/20 — Implementation of Drug and Alcohol Management Plans (Micro-businesses) Exemption 2020.
This CASA instrument comprises three (3) exemptions. One is the DAMP exemption for micro-businesses. The other exemptions relate to a DAMP organisation contracting employees from other DAMP organisations or Emergency Services personnel, without having to apply its DAMP to the contracted employees. For further information on applicability of those exemptions under CASA EX81/20 refer to the CASA webpage.
- The CASA micro-business DAMP is prepared for your organisation and is available on the CASA website as a PDF, and ready to be adopted
- No requirement to conduct first joins drug and alcohol tests.
A micro-business organisation is a DAMP organisation that is both:
- not engaged in and does not provide services to, any regular public transport operation
- has no more than 10 regular micro-business employees who:
- are reasonably likely to perform an applicable SSAA at least 2 or more times every 90 days for the micro-business
- are available to perform an applicable SSAA for the micro-business.
No. If you currently hold a Form 1479 Letter of Acknowledgment - Micro-business DAMP stating that CASA has acknowledged receipt of your micro-business DAMP under EX66/18, then section 7 of CASA EX81/20 covers your organisation to continue to operate under the same micro-business DAMP. This is due to the requirements within the micro-business DAMP remaining unchanged, however the exemption was due to expire and therefore was renewed.
If your organisation applies for the micro-business DAMP exemption EX81/20 after the commencement date 1st June 2020 the following is required:
- step 1: Read and understand the conditions of the instrument CASA EX81/20 - Implementation of Drug and Alcohol Management Plans (Micro-businesses) Exemption 2020
- step 2: Formally adopt the CASA Micro-business drug and alcohol management plan (pdf 467.86 KB) by completing all required information fields in the document (i.e. the first two pages of the document). This signifies that your organisation has adopted the CASA document as part of your documented procedures
- step 3: All SSAA employees and DAMP supervisors must register for, and complete the CASA AOD eLearning
- step 4: Within 14 days of adopting the CASA micro-business DAMP:
- Submit the signed copy of the CASA micro-business DAMP, and your organisation’s DAMP contact officer Drug and alcohol management plan (DAMP) contact officer form 008 (pdf 100.97 KB)
- Ensure all SSAA employees and DAMP supervisors have completed their CASA AOD eLearning, as this forms part of the evidence to be verified in the event of an audit.
- Following the above steps CASA will issue your organisation with a formal letter of acknowledgment of receipt of your micro-business DAMP under EX81/20. Verification of compliance with the requirements of DAMP education and DAMP testing programs as stated in the CASA micro-business DAMP will occur at the time of any surveillance conducted by CASA Inspector(s).
Please direct any queries regarding this instrument to firstname.lastname@example.org.