- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
DAMP exemption for the collection and screening of specimens
This instrument continues the arrangement from previous instrument CASA EX74/17 that expired on 30 June 2020. There have been no changes made to the conditions and intent of CASA EX74/17. As such, any DAMP organisation that has previously adopted CASA EX74/17 may continue to do so with CASA EX91/20.
What is it?
This instrument exempts a DAMP organisation (or a Non-DAMP organisation approved under CASA EX70/19) located outside of an Australian capital city from the requirements of having an accredited collecting agency conduct oral fluid and urine body sample collection and screening for the presence of drugs*, provided that certain conditions are met.
* Note: This exemption relates to the collection and screening of oral fluid and urine body samples only, for the detection of the presence of drugs. It does not remove the requirements under regulation 99.050 (1) (a)(i) of CASR which requires that the testing of breath samples for alcohol must be carried out with a device that meets the relevant Standard.
What are the benefits?
- DAMP organisations may collect body samples for proper storage, handling, and despatch for testing for the presence of drugs in circumstances where there is limited or no access to an accredited testing laboratory due to the remoteness of the area. For example, drug testing under suitable test conditions following an accident or serious incident.
- The DAMP organisation may use the services of a doctor, nurse, trained collector, or other capable person, as long as they have evidence of appropriate training in the oral fluid and urine standards for collection and screening and body samples as mentioned in the instrument.
- The collection of oral fluid body samples, and collection and on-site screening of urine body samples may be conducted at a local hospital by an appropriately trained medical professional, trained collector, or other capable person who has completed training under the applicable standards.
Please direct any queries regarding this instrument to National.Operations@casa.gov.au.