- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online tools and apps
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project FS 16/08 - Medical certification standards
Streamlining of processes for medical certification of pilots (and air traffic controllers) has been a strong area of focus for CASA over recent years, and a discussion paper exploring various policy issues was published in December 2016.
Over 160 responses were received and there was a wide variety of issues and opinions received. An independent report on the submissions received was submitted to CASA and was released publicly.
A three-phased approach to reform CASA’s approach to aviation medicine was proposed and approved in 2017.
- Phase 1: Implementation of immediate measures to address some of the key issues identified in the responses
- Phase 2: Redesign the Class 2 medical certification system (creation of a Basic Class 2 Medical Certificate)
- Phase 3: Advanced measures to ensure the entire medical certification scheme remains contemporary.
The objectives of this project are to:
- Reform to CASA’s approach to Class 2 and recreational medical certification with a focus on both medical standards and simplification of processing
- Leverage CASA’s Designated Aviation Medical Examiner (DAME) capability to greater effect
- Use of more evidence and data in shaping the future of aviation medicine regulatory decision making.
Part 67 and 61 of CASR 1998.
The proposed scope of work was approved by the EM of Stakeholder Engagement Division in January 2018.
Project leader: Mark Sullivan, Branch Manager, Client Services.
Project sponsor: Rob Walker, Executive Manager, Stakeholder Engagement
|Consultation updates in 2018|
|Project FS 16/08 – Medical certification standards||Project approved.||25 July 2018|
|Consultation updates in 2016|
|DP 1707AM - Medical certification standards||Comments close 30 March 2017.||21 Dec 2016|