- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
The transition period for flight crew licensing regulations ended on 31 August 2018.
From 1 September 2018:
- all active pilots must hold a Part 61 licence
- flight training operators conducting flight training activities must have approval under Part 141 or Part 142
- non-licensed personnel must hold a Part 64 authorisation to operate an aeronautical radio or to taxi an aeroplane.
Flight crew licensing regulations are incorporated in the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 and have been in effect since 1 September 2014.
- Edition 6 of the Part 61 prescribed aircraft and ratings legislative instrument has been published.
- New exemption removes the requirement for certain holders of an instructor rating to have completed an approved course of training in the principles and methods of instructions. Find out more on notices for FTOs and ATOs.
- Civil Aviation Safety Amendment (Flight Crew Licensing Measures No. 1) Regulations 2018, has been published.
- We have published the Part 61 Manual of Standards Amendment Instrument 2018 (No. 2).
- New exemption allows flight examiners, approval holders, approved testing officers and instructors to conduct flight tests, proficiency checks and flight training from a non-control seat to a limited extent. Find out more on notices for FTOs and ATOs.
- New exemption CASA EX89/18 removes the requirement for a flight training operator to nominate an alternative key person when they are absent or unable to perform the duties.
- We have published an amendment of the Part 61 Manual of Standards — schedules 5 and 6. Find out more on latest news.
- Indemnity arrangements provided to all flight examiner rating holders from 1 September 2018.
- New exemption provides more time for approved testing officers to complete an examiner proficiency check. Find out more on notices for FTOs and ATOs.
- Exemption to allow pilots to log co-pilot flight time extended, Find out more on latest news.
- Prescription of type ratings excluded from CASR Part 142 Flight Training (Edition 6) Instrument 2018 has been published. Find out more on latest news.