- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project OS 19/01 - Proposed changes to VMC requirements for privately operated balloons - Amendments to CAO 95.54
This project was initiated in April 2019 to address two inconsistencies in CAO 95.54. This Civil Aviation Order applies to manned balloons and hot air airships that are used in private operations. The VMC requirements in the order references an older and less restrictive standard for balloons flying above 500 feet agl. In practice all balloon operators observe the AIP definitions of VMC, VFR and special VFR.
CAO 95.54 also references a condition relating to balloons tethering near an aerodrome that is inconsistent with the requirements for balloons operated commercially.
Two versions of CAO 95.54 (2004 and 2011 versions) appear as being in force on the Federal Register of Legislation.
Amendments to CAO 95.54 will:
- ensure private balloon pilots are required to observe the VMC, VFR and special VFR definitions in the AIP
- provide the requirements for tethering balloons near aerodromes that ensures a balloon does not present a hazard to other aircraft
- ensure only one version of CAO 95.54 is shown to be in force on the Federal Register of Legislation
- remove reference to CAR 174C, as mentioned in Subsection 3 (i) which no longer exists.
This project is associated with CAO 95.54.
|Consultation updates in 2019|
|Project OS 19/01 - Proposed changes to VMC requirements for privately operated balloons – Amendments to CAO 95.54||Project approved.||12 February 2019|
Technical lead: Deborah Mainstone, Senior Standards Officer (Rotorcraft), Operations Standards
Policy manager: Manager, Flight Standards Branch